LuxCoreRender v2.1alpha0 released

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.
Dade
Developer
Developer

LuxCoreRender v2.1alpha0 released

Post by Dade »

BCD Denoiser

The first release with BCD denoiser (aka "Bayesian Collaborative Denoiser for Monte-Carlo Rendering") is finally here:

The denoiser is currently supported in all rendering modes.

BCD Denoiser parameters

There are 2 main parameters for the denoiser. One is the histogram threshold. The default value is 1.0. A lower value will make the output more "sharp" while a value higher than 1.0 will make the result more "blurred".

The other main parameter is the search window radius and it affects both the total denoiser execution time and the outpout sharpness/blurriness.

BCD Denoiser spikes filter

The denoiser includes an anti-fireflies filter. While it may be less powerful than variance clamping, it is easier to use because it doesn't require any parameter to work. So it is up to your taste if to use the denoiser combined with variance clamping or not.

BCD Denoiser and BiDir

The BCD denoiser application to BIDIRCPU is a bit stretched because of some aspect of how BiDir and BCD work. If you are planning to use the denoiser is better to disable pixel filtering or the end result is likely to be too blurred.

VisualStudio 2017 builds

Thanks to Acasta69 work, this is the first release for Windows compiled with VisualStudio 2017. You may need to install the VS2017 runtime libraries: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -downloads

LuxCoreRender v2.1alpha0 files

BlendLuxCore is available here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... v2.1alpha0

Standalone LuxCoreRender is available here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... v2.1alpha0
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.1alpha0 released

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

A video showing the denoiser usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SJ4w4GFjAE
  • Enable the denoiser in the render properties, panel "LuxCore Denoiser"
  • Start the render
  • In the image editor, change the active pass from "Combined" to "DENOISED"
  • Open the toolshelf in the image editor (shortcut T)
  • You can now refresh the denoised image by pressing the "Run Denoiser" button. You can also change the settings during the rendering.
  • When you cancel the render or it is stopped by a halt condition, the denoiser runs automatically
Another important point:
The denoiser works best with samplers that distribute the samples "evenly random".
The best sampler to use with the denoiser is the Random sampler, the second best is Sobol. Metropolis does not work well and will most likely produce a lot of artifacts.

If you think the denoiser integration in the Blender addon can be improved in some way, or you notice a bug, please comment on this issue.
There are also some known problems listed there.
Asticles
Donor
Donor

Post by Asticles »

WOW Thanks! Testing it!
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Awesome! Thank you.
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

I have installed the new Visual Studio redistributable, but I'm getting an error when activating the addon:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\GoogleDrive\Blender\2.79\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 338, in enable
    mod = __import__(module_name)
  File "C:\Users\chafouin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\BlendLuxCore\__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
    from .bin import pyluxcore
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
Any idea?
FiatLux

Post by FiatLux »

1) Material preview doesn't work anymore to me (All black and laggy).
Is it the same for you?
This is the error from console:
Console wrote:TypeError: draw() missing 1 required positional argument: 'render_stopped'
2)Doesn't denoiser work anymore when render halt is reached (and auto denoise is done)?
Cause I press the button, it disappear, it says "Running denoiser..." but it's actually doing nothing.
And system console says nothing too.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have installed the new Visual Studio redistributable, but I'm getting an error when activating the addon:
Are you using the official Blender 2.79b from blender.org?
FiatLux wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm 1) Material preview doesn't work anymore to me (All black and laggy).
Is it the same for you?
This is the error from console:
Thanks for the report, I fixed it.
FiatLux wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm 2)Doesn't denoiser work anymore when render halt is reached (and auto denoise is done)?
Yes, the denoiser only works while the render is running.
(In theory it's also possible to edit the film without a running render, but not in BlendLuxCore so far).

The button should not be displayed when the render is not running, it's on my Todo list.
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm Are you using the official Blender 2.79b from blender.org?
Was using the wrong shortcut, it works with 2.79b, thanks!
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

The denoising works great, but when I try to cancel a render the Denoiser starts up and I can't seem to stop it?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Racleborg wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:27 pm The denoising works great, but when I try to cancel a render the Denoiser starts up and I can't seem to stop it?
This is intended. When additional samples were rendered since the last run of the denoiser, it is executed again when ending the render.
Since LuxCore is mostly used in "endless render mode", the addon can't really tell if you want to abort a render as quickly as possible or if you simply think the render is finished.
If you have any ideas how to handle this situation, I'm open for suggestions.