Faster Compiling kernels

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
User avatar
TAO
Developer
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Faster Compiling kernels

Post by TAO » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 pm

Compiling kernels just use around 7% of my CPU and no GPU on my PC and take almost 4 minutes to finish, My question is, is there a way to speed up this process by using more resources or something like that.
I tried to document kernel compile-time and write it everywhere but still, people think is a bug and they are not able to use GPU.
Omid Ghotbi (TAO)
Latest build Download link👇👇
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxToLux/releases
Last update information
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewto ... 590#p30154

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by Dade » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm

TAO wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 pm
Compiling kernels just use around 7% of my CPU and no GPU on my PC and take almost 4 minutes to finish, My question is, is there a way to speed up this process by using more resources or something like that.
I tried to document kernel compile-time and write it everywhere but still, people think is a bug and they are not able to use GPU.
Kernel compilation is done by drivers, you should ask to NVIDIA/AMD/etc. The all use a single thread as far as I know.

LuxCore "v3.0" will require no compilation at runtime, not even the first time.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
TAO
Developer
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by TAO » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm
TAO wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 pm
Compiling kernels just use around 7% of my CPU and no GPU on my PC and take almost 4 minutes to finish, My question is, is there a way to speed up this process by using more resources or something like that.
I tried to document kernel compile-time and write it everywhere but still, people think is a bug and they are not able to use GPU.
Kernel compilation is done by drivers, you should ask to NVIDIA/AMD/etc. The all use a single thread as far as I know.

LuxCore "v3.0" will require no compilation at runtime, not even the first time.
Amazing news, I'm looking forward to see that.
Omid Ghotbi (TAO)
Latest build Download link👇👇
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxToLux/releases
Last update information
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewto ... 590#p30154

User avatar
Sharlybg
Donor
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm
Location: Ivory Coast

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by Sharlybg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm

LuxCore "v3.0" will require no compilation at runtime, not even the first time.
Like a Nobel price sentence ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA

User avatar
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Posts: 4078
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by B.Y.O.B. » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pm

Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm
LuxCore "v3.0" will require no compilation at runtime, not even the first time.
Awesome to hear!

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by lacilaci » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 pm

Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm

LuxCore "v3.0" will require no compilation at runtime, not even the first time.
If you provide pre-compiled kernels can't this lead to errors due to specific driver issues etc?

I often think that octane has sometimes bugs with memory leaks and freezing due to pre-compiled kernels but I don't know if that's the issue.

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by Dade » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm

lacilaci wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 pm
If you provide pre-compiled kernels can't this lead to errors due to specific driver issues etc?
Only if the PTX version I compile for it is newer than one supported by the system installed driver. Like if I compile for CUDA 11 and you have CUDA 10 driver.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
TAO
Developer
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by TAO » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm
lacilaci wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 pm
If you provide pre-compiled kernels can't this lead to errors due to specific driver issues etc?
Only if the PTX version I compile for it is newer than one supported by the system installed driver. Like if I compile for CUDA 11 and you have CUDA 10 driver.
Even in this case, the kernel needs to be compile again and it will not produce any issues, am i right?
Omid Ghotbi (TAO)
Latest build Download link👇👇
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxToLux/releases
Last update information
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewto ... 590#p30154

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by Dade » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 pm

TAO wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 pm
Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm
lacilaci wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 pm
If you provide pre-compiled kernels can't this lead to errors due to specific driver issues etc?
Only if the PTX version I compile for it is newer than one supported by the system installed driver. Like if I compile for CUDA 11 and you have CUDA 10 driver.
Even in this case, the kernel needs to be compile again and it will not produce any issues, am i right?
No, the driver it will throw an error because it can not understand new instruction (if they have been introduced) in PTX code.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
TAO
Developer
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Faster Compiling kernels

Post by TAO » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 pm

Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 pm
TAO wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 pm
Dade wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm


Only if the PTX version I compile for it is newer than one supported by the system installed driver. Like if I compile for CUDA 11 and you have CUDA 10 driver.
Even in this case, the kernel needs to be compile again and it will not produce any issues, am i right?
No, the driver it will throw an error because it can not understand new instruction (if they have been introduced) in PTX code.
What about the minimum requirements to use LuxCore? even Arnold in 3dsmax needs at least Nvidia driver 462 to render with GPU. (i forgot the exact version)
Also, we can check the driver version and see if it can meet the least requirement.
I know we already talk about the OpenCL as a dead-end especially that Nvidia never will update it but just to mention they release a new version of OpenCL 3.0.7 and Vulkan 1.2.177 just 3 days ago on 26 April I think.
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/150472
Omid Ghotbi (TAO)
Latest build Download link👇👇
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxToLux/releases
Last update information
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewto ... 590#p30154

Post Reply