(Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Fox
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:17 am

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by Fox » Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Dade wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm
As far as I remember, BlendLuxCore has to export disconnected faces if the vertices do not share normals, etc.
Is there option in exporter to disable it?

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by Dade » Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Fox wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pm
Dade wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm
As far as I remember, BlendLuxCore has to export disconnected faces if the vertices do not share normals, etc.
Is there option in exporter to disable it?
Not really, you can not have a single vertex with 2 different normals (i.e. a vertex shared between two different flat faces).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Posts: 4115
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by B.Y.O.B. » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:40 pm

The displacement shape could have an option to consider overlapping vertices as one vertex for the displacement step.

User avatar
Sharlybg
Donor
Posts: 2856
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm
Location: Ivory Coast

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by Sharlybg » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:35 pm

From what I know, Cycles can adaptively tessellate each face of a mesh depending on camera distance.
Dade's example shows something similar, but it currently works per whole mesh, not per face.
So for example, with Cycles you could use one huge plane for the pebbles image you posted, and the parts of the plane that are close are tessellated more than the parts of the plane in the background. Lux currently would tessellate the whole plane uniformly.
Hey Guys. i'm a bit lost with Luxcore displacement.Want to know if our displacement method is still per whole mesh or per face adaptive like cycles one ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA

AndreasResch
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 am

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by AndreasResch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:03 am

When using the Subdivision node in combination with the Height Displacement node - is there a way to keep the smooth shading of the surface?

User avatar
TAO
Developer
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by TAO » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:05 am

I have a different question, I can not find any documentation about displacement and parameters in the wiki!
Omid Ghotbi (TAO)
Last update information
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewto ... 590#p30154

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by Dade » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:51 am

TAO wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:05 am
I have a different question, I can not find any documentation about displacement and parameters in the wiki!
It is in the first post of this thread :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

AndreasResch
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 am

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by AndreasResch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:22 am

AndreasResch wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:03 am
When using the Subdivision node in combination with the Height Displacement node - is there a way to keep the smooth shading of the surface?
Some information about this issue as well?

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by Dade » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:39 am

AndreasResch wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:22 am
AndreasResch wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:03 am
When using the Subdivision node in combination with the Height Displacement node - is there a way to keep the smooth shading of the surface?
Some information about this issue as well?
Smooth shading is preserved :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

AndreasResch
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 am

Re: (Open)Subdiv and Displacement shapes

Post by AndreasResch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:12 am

Here's a comparison with and without displacement.
Luxcore_Bug_15.jpg
Here are the nodes.
Luxcore_Bug_16.jpg

Post Reply