BlendLuxCore Development

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by juangea »

What versions do support that and what version don’t?

Also could be great to be able to enable/disable that export if it slows down a lot the export process :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

juangea wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:01 pm What versions do support that and what version don’t?
Currently, fast export is supported for 2.82.7 and 2.83.*
This can be checked here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... rter.py#L9
juangea wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:01 pm Also could be great to be able to enable/disable that export if it slows down a lot the export process
There is a warning if custom normals increase the export time of a mesh by more than 0.3 seconds. In such a case, you can disable usage of custom normals from the mesh in Blender, e.g. by deleting them or by disabling the weighted normal modifier or whatever else is creating them.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

Ah, ok, si I assume that refers to the normals modifiers and the baked normals into the mesh, but the normal smoothing with angle works ok and does not affect, right? :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

juangea wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:51 pm Ah, ok, si I assume that refers to the normals modifiers and the baked normals into the mesh, but the normal smoothing with angle works ok and does not affect, right?
Yes, I mean the feature that is labeled "custom split normals" here: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... it-normals
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

Yep, that was what I was thinking about, perfect, then it's not a big deal, at least for us, since usually that kind of smoothing detail is done in some very specific models :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have extended the FAQ with a few new topics: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLuxCore_FAQ

1.2 Is there something like Cycles' Layer Weight/Fresnel/Facing node in LuxCore?
1.3 Can Cycles materials be used in BlendLuxCore?
1.4 Can 2D/3D mapping be driven by textures in LuxCore?
1.5 What can be done against fireflies/hotpixels?

If you can think of more topics that come up often and should be included there, let me know.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

I was recently trying to found a work around to CUDA/hardware texture map limit of supporting only 1, 2 or 4 channels texture maps and I looked at Cycles sources to check how they were solving this problem: apparently they don't.

I'm guessing Cycles stores RGB (i.e. 3 channels images) as 4 channels, wasting a 33% of GPU memory. Can someone confirm this ? It shouldn't be hard to test by using a very large texture map with 3 or 4 channels and checking the amount of GPU memory used: if the amount is the same, my theory is confirmed.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Not sure about that but OpenColorIO color space can be a good solution, and as I can see many renderers and software support it natively.
Last edited by TAO on Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 pm I'm guessing Cycles stores RGB (i.e. 3 channels images) as 4 channels, wasting a 33% of GPU memory. Can someone confirm this ? It shouldn't be hard to test by using a very large texture map with 3 or 4 channels and checking the amount of GPU memory used: if the amount is the same, my theory is confirmed.
I did a test with the following scene:
Render on GPU only (CUDA) with Cycles.
Three versions of a 16000x16000 pixel image: 1 channel (black/white), 3 channels (RGB), 4 channels (RGBA).
Output resolution 100x100.
I have no precise measurements of the used GPU RAM, but the task manager graph shows that your suspicion is probably right, as there's no difference in memory usage between 3 and 4 channel images.
Attachments
fghdfhdh.PNG
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Maybe if you try the same test in a bigger image size the difference can be more obvious.
The memory usage for the compare part is so small that hardly can be noticed.