UPDATE Classic dispersion Prism LUXCORE 2.6 (now available as free download Test and example scene)

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

UPDATE Classic dispersion Prism LUXCORE 2.6 (now available as free download Test and example scene)

Post by joyasrohrbach »

Update: I have made the .blend file available for download as test and example scene (Luxcore 2.6 Blender 3.6)
Download link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AikeylQB68nkg9NRJwv ... w?e=dc3WEK

Viewport screenshot
TestScene-screenshot.jpg
Hi everyone

Strangely, I had never tried to create the classic dispersion prism in 3D
Given that I am testing scenes, setups and softwares (although on a very wide time frame, I have a lot of other things to do :? )
for caustics, dispersion and spectral rendering, creating the classic dispersion prism was like an obvious obligation before moving forward.
LUXCORE-PRISM-ROHRBACH.jpg
(Luxcore 2.6 Blender 3.6)
So although Luxcore is not totally considered a spectral render engine, it does have nice spectral capacities already. The image is achieved with only one laser light.

The render, is entirely done on CPU (my old soon to be replaced Intel I7-6850K) BiDir Metropolis sampler for this kind of scene it's necessary,
took 2 hours 42 minutes at around 800 samples at 1920x1080
Then noisy and Intel denoised mixed at 75%

It took me a couple of hours to get the numbers right in order to get a nice spectral range. Getting the rays to become visible does requiere a volumetric setup, and the numbers need quite a precise configuration to work.

I am currently working on other setups of this scene, in other artistic directions.
Last edited by joyasrohrbach on Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil999

Re: UPDATE Classic dispersion Prism LUXCORE 2.6 (now available as free download Test and example scene)

Post by Phil999 »

for me, prism renders are one of the most interesting things in 3D. But it is not easy to accomplish, so I'm very glad to see another scene published here. Thank you very much. It looks very good. It is probably the best example I have seen so far.

Would it be possible to reupload the scene? It is no longer available from my place.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

Re: UPDATE Classic dispersion Prism LUXCORE 2.6 (now available as free download Test and example scene)

Post by joyasrohrbach »

Thank! I am glad to see the same enthusiasm, and it's true, it is harder to achieve than it might seem at first. Settings must be very specific in order to work.

Here is the new download link https://1drv.ms/u/s!AikeylQB68nkg9NRJwv ... w?e=dc3WEK
I was moving my files to my new computer and noticed it went missing indeed, sorry.
Enjoy, anything let me know.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

thank you joyasrohrbach for the new upload.

So far I couldn't render an image, because Blender is crashing. I used Blender 3.6 and BlendLuxCore_v2.62.1a_Win10_x64, probably it is the wrong BlendLuxCore version. Removing the plugin failed, so it will take a bit of time until I get it running. I will watch your "how to install Luxcore" video and report back when it works.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

Post by joyasrohrbach »

You're welcome

Crash is weird.
I am also using Blender 3.6, and I tested with the latest 2.8alpha Win10 64, it works great. Download from https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/releases... Other than that, beware it is using Bidir, so it's all CPU, maybe lower the render settings.

Also maybe before rendering, make a very simple viewport render preview (start on Path rendering on GPU) to get the kernels compiled, before trying to render anything heavier.