Mesa 1.8.1.6 with LuxCoreRender 2.1a3 on Debian 9.5 with 4.17 kernel

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
pulgasari

Mesa 1.8.1.6 with LuxCoreRender 2.1a3 on Debian 9.5 with 4.17 kernel

Post by pulgasari »

I am on an older (AMD FX6300) machine with a somewhat newer video card (RX580) - recently upgraded.

There seems to be a bug which is causing Mesa's OpenCL to hang or crash with either Blender Cycles or LuxCore under most conditions right now.

(I'm using the stock Blender Foundation 2.79b download but this happens in one way or another on all of the builds I've downloaded.

My next step is to try to build either a custom kernel, try to cobble together sort of a Frankenstein driver situation or try using Ubuntu running from a flash drive or inside a virtual machine to be able to take advantage of my GPU.

I'm trying to figure out what to do, what I can do on my older machine.

The CPU rendering of the benchmark scene is beautiful.

Has anybody else been in this exact situation?

Edit: Its not such a big issue. (I should be able to manage using a flash drive install for now.)
Attachments
BlenderHangWithOpenCL.png
BlenderCPURenderingWithLuxCoreRender2.1alphaUsingMesaWithCPUselected-maybe-some-OpenCL.png
Last edited by pulgasari on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Mesa 1.8.1.6 with LuxCoreRender 2.1a3 on Debian 9.5 with 4.17 kernel

Post by Dade »

Any particular reason to not use AMD drivers for your GPU ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
pulgasari

Post by pulgasari »

Do you have any pointers on using Debian, not Ubuntu with their drivers without breaking the non-openCL driver? I am on an older machine that has the older kind of PCIe slots so it appears my box is not supported with the ROC drivers yet. (although it may be in the future)

It seems that I may be in the same situation as user Lucrus here (see second and last posts at the bottom)

It seems they have a fix on the way.
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/l ... 7-40/page2

The worst case scenario is that Ihave to set up a saparate ubuntu install - not such a big deal. It would be nice not to have to though.
Arch has repackaged the driver files for Arch users. As we speak I am trying to unpack the driver files into a separate directory tree and I am going to try to see if I can use just the opencl drivers. Older versions of the amdgpu pro driver apparently can be installed - thats another alternative. I'll lose some performance, and probably stability, though.

I would rather use the open source drivers!
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Please try to edit your first post and put console tect into code mod like this :

Code: Select all

Code
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
pulgasari

Post by pulgasari »

got it, thank you!