car

Links and discussions related to tutorials, tips and tricks.
modhob

Re: car

Post by modhob »

I appreciate you doing that, thx.

I dunno, it seems realistic cars/scenes is one of the harder things to do in either cycles or lux. And there is a lot of tutorials for cycles and cars but 95% of them don't look quite right. I am rendering a simple cycles scene now and will post a link when it's done. Just an HDRI and a car and some blurriness but it looks a lot better I think than most of the lux ones I've tried. I'll post a link to one I did with that as well.

Your scene, takes a really long time to render on my machine. If I try changing CPU to GPU render it basically crashes. Also, some weirdness with the car material. If I make a new object, say a sphere or suzanne, and apply the car material, it just stays the default grey. I have to switch back and forth between render mode a few times for it to finally change. Weird. Also, should the sun object be there? You have the HDRI so not sure....
modhob

Post by modhob »

ok here is the Cycles render:

https://youtu.be/mX82oGpOfOU

let me know what you think
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Clearly, uncanny valley.
Glass lensing too strong, dull lighting, shadows too weak, lack of ground and other surface imperfections, nor is there any minute details such as slight car shaking, dust, smoke... since it's an outdoor scene.

It's quite a task to make car looking aesthetically pleasing and believable. So, do provide a reference of what quality, look and style you're trying to achieve. That's the proper way to start - having a plan for the goal.
modhob

Post by modhob »

I agree with everything you said, however I still think it looks better than my lux version, which I spent way more time on trying to get looking realistic.

That is the goal, just get a realistic looking car/scene

here is the lux render, altho I think the car needs more glossiness to reflect the ground etc

https://youtu.be/uSC6wQHV8sE?si=mg59fHwE2H160cDV

here is a snap where I just added some motion blur:
test.jpg
modhob

Post by modhob »

here is your scene with a jeep. I think it looks ok
jeepRoad.jpg
Luximage

Post by Luximage »

Very nice rendering modhob, maybe for the glass to let more light in you could increase the specular and the total path to 12 in the Light path settings and also in the glass material output make the shadow color completely white.
modhob

Post by modhob »

thx, i'll give that a try, but how to make shadow color white for glass? here is my node:
glass.jpg
modhob

Post by modhob »

here is the new render with your suggestions about the light settings, altho for the windows I wasn't sure what you meant. It was a cycles material, so I changed it to lux. Just used the glass meterial and used default settings. The image has more noise on the windows and they are darker. Don't think I see any other difference in the images. What were expecting to see different?
jeepRoad2.jpg
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

check "Architectural" on Glass and under "Advanced" (Material Output) set "Shadow Color"
Glass_BLC.jpg
Luximage

Post by Luximage »

I was expecting to see more light pass through in the interior of the car, probably the windows in your car have no thickness and that's why it looks weird. When the geometry has no thickness it is better enabling Architectural glass option just like kintuX said and making the material shadow color to white will result in not casting shadows.
Also try putting another light in your scene to make the car appear more clearly and stand out.