Simple Still Life with BidirVM

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
rrubberr

Simple Still Life with BidirVM

Post by rrubberr »

Hey all, I noticed some forum threads mentioning that LuxCore is no longer under active development, so I decided to put together a scene using LuxCore's bidirectional path tracing with vertex merging (BidirVM) for old times' sake :cry:
Three variants: the left two show SDS caustics.
Three variants: the left two show SDS caustics.
And again, in color.
And again, in color.
BidirVM is one of LuxCore's lesser-known features and was never shown in the addon, however it can be enabled by tweaking a few lines in BlendLuxCore. It works best when supplemented with metropolis light transport (MLT). Why use BidirVM+MLT for this scene?
  • I used a smoke simulation and heterogenous volume setup for whole-scene atmospheric scattering. This is extremely computationally expensive, and makes denoising impractical.
  • Reflective and refractive caustics are created by the highly specular vase, glasses, and a glass block window in front of the light source (for the left two images).
  • SDS paths! Bidirectional and simple path tracing cannot reasonably converge SDS paths, even supplemented with metropolis light transport.
One significant down side is that memory usage scales with thread count and other parameters :lol:
Check out that memory usage!
Check out that memory usage!
Each image took an average of 2.5 hours to render on 128 threads at 1920x1536 to 10,000 samples per pixel. Best of luck to all the LuxCore devs in the future :)
Calling all Linux users: check out the new LuxRender 1.7 Flatpak! https://github.com/rrubberr/Flatpak-LuxRender
Light transport enthusiast - www.rrubberr.com
Luximage

Re: Simple Still Life with BidirVM

Post by Luximage »

Impressive stuff rrubberr, nice info and very nice rendering!
Dez!

Re: Simple Still Life with BidirVM

Post by Dez! »

cool
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/