Caustics Problem

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Caustics Problem

Post by Sharlybg »

Can you please show your blender addon pref.
And does it happen with CPU only render too ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
HHS

Post by HHS »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:43 pm Can you please show your blender addon pref.
And does it happen with CPU only render too ?
With CPU the caustics are visible, but hardly
Attachments
BlenderAddon_Pref.jpg
bdjones

Post by bdjones »

ah, there's a difference between Viewport and Final Render, I do see caustics with light tracing off in final render. I've been doing stuff that didn't need caustics seen through something transparent so have just been using Tracing. So in final render - refractive/reflective caustics will be visible through a transparent medium with Caustics cache (in Photon GI cache) only but Tracing is a lot cleaner right away. But refractive/reflective caustics will only show through a transparent medium if Caustics Cache is on and the combo of Cache and Tracing is slightly quicker too.
HHS

Post by HHS »

bdjones wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:18 pm ah, there's a difference between Viewport and Final Render, I do see caustics with light tracing off in final render. I've been doing stuff that didn't need caustics seen through something transparent so have just been using Tracing. So in final render - refractive/reflective caustics will be visible through a transparent medium with Caustics cache (in Photon GI cache) only but Tracing is a lot cleaner right away. But refractive/reflective caustics will only show through a transparent medium if Caustics Cache is on and the combo of Cache and Tracing is slightly quicker too.
Hmm...not really. With LT on, Caustics will be reflected on the walls. Caustics will then usually still be visible through glas, water...
At least here:
Light Tracing off:
LToff_caustics.jpg
Light Tracing on:
LTon_caustics.jpg
This was the only scene I got it working - and I don´t know why. Like an invisible switch somewhere...
Add an HDRi to your liking and pool material:
CausticsDebug.zip
(329.93 KiB) Downloaded 74 times