Cornell slomo animation loop

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Cornell slomo animation loop

Post by epilectrolytics »

juleswilcox

Re: Cornell slomo animation loop

Post by juleswilcox »

Great! Thank you for posting the blend file too. I look forward to trying the settings you used.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

thank you. Good scene for learning.
Martini

Post by Martini »

This looks wonderful!

I tried adding a simple "swinging" keyframe to the light, and rendering this myself. And 43 hours later... well it still looks great, but now I have a question :?

It appears your video is looping and about 4 seconds at 30fps

However the blend file is set to render 240 frames (10 seconds at 24fps), and does not appear to loop.

Frame rate and duration aside - how did you get the waves to loop perfectly?
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX 64-Cores | 2x Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Thanks guys!
Martini wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:20 amhow did you get the waves to loop perfectly?
It's done in post video editing by fading out the ending while fading in the beginning which shortens the clip a bit.
I rendered only 160 frames (25 hrs) and the blending took away 30 frames or so.
When closely inspecting the frames of the last second you can spot it.

For a perfect looping I should have used two displacement modifiers for the wave plane, animating the same texture with a time shift and fading in the first while fading out the second.
I planned to do that but then the simple transition in the video editor worked well and I didn't modify and rerender the file.
So the title is a bit misleading because the looping is not done in the file, sorry for that.

Also it is no correct render because the volumetrics are not reflected in the mirror ball, that would have required activating caustic cache for the volume, leading to insane render times and a dull appearance so I refrained from it.