Call for simple example images for the new features in v2.5

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Call for simple example images for the new features in v2.5

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I filled in the sections about the distort texture, texture bombing, two-sided material, randomized tiling for imagemaps, Caustic AOV, 180° and 360° Stereo Cameras, OptiX Viewport Denoising and New Light Group Editor.
Sharlybg wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:25 pm My contribution for the camera non uniform bokeh shape :
I think it would be good to also have examples of the new non-custom shapes (exponential, inverse exponential, gaussian etc.). Would someone be so kind to render these? Best would be to have just 1-3 big bokehs in the image with nothing else, so the difference is easily visible.

Other sections that still need to be done:
  • Example of randomized 3D mapping
  • Temperature Setting for Lights
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Is this too simple?
Attachments
Luxcore_Random3D_01.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

That would be fine.
(but I would put the blue/yellow colors directly into the checkerboard texture and remove the color ramp)
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

The color ramp was a remainder of a Triplanar Test which I did before (which made me think of an improvement that I will post in a sec).

Here's the proper version.
Attachments
Luxcore_Random3D_02.jpg
Luxcore_Random3D_04.jpg
Last edited by AndreasResch on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I added a section about the new model packs for the LuxCore Online Library.

About the temperature settings for light, Sharlybg, maybe you can render one of your lamps with three different light temperatures (orange, white, blue) to showcase this?
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

While I was testing the 3D Mapping with Triplanar Mapping is was obvious that the random rotation isn't working too well. I could work around it with individual 2D mappings, but a smarter way would be to maybe adapt the 3D Mapping node a bit.

How about adding a "Triplanar Rotation" checkbox (like the Uniform Scale one in the scale section) to the Rotation section? When you check it, there's only one rotation range (again similar to the Uniform Scale adaption) that rotates the projected bitmap around it's own axis on each side. This is the way that the rotation might be used in most cases anyway.

Attached is a test that shows the bad stretching that happens by using the random 3D Mapping rotation on the Triplanar node.
Attachments
Luxcore_Random3D_03.jpg
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Forget about my previous comment (somewhat). There might be some issue with the Random Local option. Look at this comparison. Both transformations should be 45° on each axis, yet they look different. The Local option looks quite nice, while the Random Local might have an issue with the transitions.
Luxcore_Random3D_05.jpg
Here's the node setup
Luxcore_Random3D_06.jpg
And here's a comparison of the mapping just being rotated around 45°on the X-axis. With the Local option, all the maps (and transitions are rotated correctly). When using Random Local, the maps are rotated fine, but the transition stays in place and ends up blending the wrong projections over each other. Maybe you can make better sense of this.
Luxcore_Random3D_07.jpg
So basically the Random Local option should have the same visual result as the Local option, just the amount of the rotations is randomized.
Luximage

Post by Luximage »

Lights temperature:
lights temp.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

AndreasResch wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:17 pm Here's the proper version.
Luximage wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:22 pm Lights temperature:
Added these.
AndreasResch wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 am There might be some issue with the Random Local option.
Please open a github issue about that in the LuxCore repository.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Done. Opened the issue in the BlendLuxcore issue tracker.