LuxCore on Felix Render implementation

General computer graphic news and papers.
daros

LuxCore on Felix Render implementation

Post by daros »

Hi, here are some of the first luxcore tests we are producing on our cloud based rendering tool, FELIX render.
Our previous rendering engine has been Maxwell Render which you can compare here with Luxcore.
All light sources are emitting about 20% direct light and 80% caustics.
As you can see Luxcore is the clear winner since caustics and indirect light are reflected correctly by the other surfaces of the scene.
Thanks to Sharlybg for helping us to set-up materials in Luxcore!
The only big issue we have is with OIDN which blurs textures details despite being feed with normal and albedo wen we use bidir+metropolis.

Luxcore 10 minutes
comp-lux02_1.jpg

Maxwell Render 10 minutes
comp-max02.jpg

Luxcore 10 minutes
comp-lux01.jpg

Maxwell Render 10 minutes
comp-max01.jpg

More examples to come soon.
Last edited by daros on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCore on Felix Render implementation

Post by TAO »

Very nice to see LuxCore in other ecosystems, Also nice render, and a very good comparison.
Well done.
daros

Post by daros »

Thanks!
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

did you manage to work on light groups or it's still a work in progress?
daros

Post by daros »

Hi, not yet but it is planned to be implemented within the next two weeks. I'm not very familar about how light groups work in Luxcore but if it is similar to Maxwell's multilight, it should not be suitable for high res renderings, right? And a modified light group rendering should not be as good as a rendering from scratch.

For this reason we implemented it in FELIX using maxwell in following way:
The user adds all lightsources to the scene without taking to much care about light color and intensities.
The user starts a "light editor" rendering. Light editor renderings are low-res renderings at high sampling level with "light groups" activated.
The user recives the lightgroup rendering and equalizes the lighting. Wen finished he can copy the new lighting settings to the scene (Maxwell do not has this option but we implemented it).
The user runs the final renderings.
Would be that reasonable? Or is there more effective workflow in Lux?

P.S.
I'm studing a way to work smoothly on multiple "light groups" of the same scene...the problem is that in a certain view some light sources are not visible so you are tempted to make an other light group from a different view...but then you vary a light source which do not affects this light group so you are not even understanding what you are really doing...Wen you copy the new settings of the second light group to the scene you eventually mess up the previous light equalization. So i want to find a way to sinconize multiple light groups. May a way would be to simultaneosly visualize multiple light groups and apply the changes to a light source to all other light groups too, so you percive the consequences. I don't know... i have to think about it a bit more.
Last edited by daros on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

daros wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm I'm not very familar about how light groups work in Luxcore
Each light group creates an RGB output buffer where the contributions of all lights in the group are stored.
Here are the SDL details: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCore_ ... ance_Group

By summing all light group buffers, you get the same as a regular combined render result (if the light groups are unmodified).
daros wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm it should not be suitable for high res renderings, right?
I guess you mean because of higher RAM usage? That's true, if the render resolution is big, an RGB buffer can get very large. The memory requirement in Byte can be calculated with: 4 Bytes (sizeof(float)) * 3 (RGB channels) * filmwidth * filmheight
daros wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm And a modified light group rendering should not be as good as a rendering from scratch.
Only if a light group is made brighter. In that case, it might be undersampled because it didn't contribute much light/noise to the scene originally.
But if only the color is altered or the light group is made darker, it's no problem.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

I guess you get the best answer you can get, in addition, I just need to say, yes it's pretty much the same as Maxwell light group. a little bit different from functionality but in output mostly the same. that should give you an idea of how you need to work on implementation.
I'm working on it too but as 3dsmax doesn't support node base composition or even a stack for Visual frame buffer so it will take more time than I expected.
daros

Post by daros »

Thanks!
This is how "light groups" are working in FELIX now under Maxwell. Under Luxcore we are going to use exactly the same interface:
https://youtu.be/cC-IBS-u-WY

The main difference between FELIX and Maxwell is that in FELIX you can copy the "light group" light equalization to the scene.
daros

Post by daros »

Testing lighting conditions.
Many of this set-ups are very challnenging for Maxwell but not for Lux.

Simple recessed emitter simulating spot.
basic method-central lights.jpg

Simple recessed emitter.
basic method-lateral lights.jpg

Spots 40 degree, 70%caustics, 30% direct light
trinangle replacement-central spot 40.jpg

Wallwasher 80%caustics, 20% direct light
trinangle replacement-end wallwasher.jpg

Wallwasher 80%caustics, 20% direct light
trinangle replacement-side wallwasher.jpg

Wallwasher 80%caustics, 20% direct light + cetral spots led spots 70%caustics,30% direct light.
trinangle replacement-side+end wallwasher+central.jpg

Light wall
basic method-lateral emitting wall.jpg

Light wall+wallwasher
basic method-lateral emitting wall+wallwasher end.jpg

candle light
trinangle replacement-central candels.jpg

chandeliers
trinangle replacement-central chandeliers.jpg
TAO
Developer
Developer