White/Greyish World

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Racleborg

White/Greyish World

Post by Racleborg »

I don't know why I've only just noticed this, or what I must be doing wrong :roll:

Without any lamps or objects in my scene, if the World is set to white with a value of 1, then in Cycles it is white but in Lux it is grey?

I'm not using Filmic. Is it generally best to use Filmic? and are my settings (attached) good to go?

Screen shots attached.

Thanks
Attachments
Cycles White.png
Lux White.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: White/Greyish World

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Make sure autolinear tonemapping is disabled in the camera settings and the tonemapping scale is set to 1.
In color management, the exposure should be set to 0 (default) and gamma 1 (default).

If you use filmic, the image will still appear grey in this case, because a value of 1 is technically overexposed if you assume 0 = black and 1 = white, and filmic corrects for overexposed values.
But if you left click a pixel of the rendered image in the image editor, you will see that the true value is 1.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

if your tonemapper is set to autobrightnes then you are seeing grey balance, autocorrection exposure.

go to your camera settings - tonemapper and disable autobrightness. try camera settings and input some realistic values.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Thank you for your responses.

I almost always turn off the camera tonemapping, but this is happening without a camera?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

If you have no camera, the following imagepipeline is used as fallback: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... ine.py#L84
Autolinear tonemapper with scale 0.5 (the default if you make a new camera).
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

If you have no camera, the following image pipeline is used as fallback
Thank you