Benchmarks / OS with CPU | GPUs

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Benchmarks / OS with CPU | GPUs

Post by FarbigeWelt »

On last Saturday I collected some historical data for examples of CPUs viewtopic.php?f=2&t=875#p9385 and GPU sviewtopic.php?f=2&t=875#p9394. The performance (TFLOPS) in these collections are based on say PR notes and tech sheets of supplier or 'in'dependent reviewers.

Over the last days I've run different benchmarks on different systems, LuxCoreRender 2.1 plugin for Blender 2,79b rendering own scenes (2.4 MTriangles, 10 lights, 300 MB VRAM, no textures) or I used LuxMark 3.1. Latter's Microphone scene did not like my mid 2010 27'' iMac and crashed, see
LuxMark 3.1_Neumann_Unexpected Quit_openCL_ATI Radeon HD 5750.rtf.zip
LuxMark, report
(19.9 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
attachment.

Wondering about differences of LuxCoreRender and LuxMark benchmarks' top order I noticed remembered Geekbench version 4 http://www.geekbench.com which is very different to its former versions.

Single tests are obviously free, you can licence later or never and continue to start CPU and then openCL tests. After testing a browser tab opens and shows all kind of results.

I guess for a small evaluation it would be enough to gather GB 4.0 results with Gflops for
SFFT for GPU and CPU
SGEMM for CPU (if available DGEMM).

Together with the results of path render for e.g. the scene
Simple Benchmark Scene.blend.zip
Simple Benchmark Scene
(411.52 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
CPU
openCL
and who likes: openCL + CPU

I would like to compare these values with LuxCoreRender speed on different systems. Results of 6 to 10 different systems should be enough for my evaluation. Useful for later analyses, GBs 4.0 all results are uploaded as pdf print because e.g. RAM speed could be a very important factor for the render benchmark.

Who like to support me with data?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Re: Benchmarks / OS with CPU | GPUs

Post by epilectrolytics »

Here's some benches, LuxMark, Geek and yours, on my PC and MacBook.
Your scene crashed my MacBook's Intel Iris Pro but worked on the nVidia.
Specs in the Geeklinks.
EpiBench.zip
(728.12 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm Here's some benches, LuxMark, Geek and yours, on my PC and MacBook.
Your scene crashed my MacBook's Intel Iris Pro but worked on the nVidia.
Thank you very much for sharing your results. I've started to gather the information.
It will probably take a few days until I can provide first overviews depending on my job's workload.

Did some internet search regarding iris pro. Looks like mac OS does not support both onboard gpu and discrete graphic card's gpu. Maybe you have a choice somewhere in the system preferences.

Did you know: "OpenCL was deprecated in macOS 10.14."? This means somehow openCL is not depreciated for 10.13.6.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:08 amDid some internet search regarding iris pro. Looks like mac OS does not support both onboard gpu and discrete graphic card's gpu.
OSX 13 has no system support for user GPU switching but leaves it to the developers to provide it in their apps.
So I can freely choose in Blender and LuxCore where it is supported.
Did you know: "OpenCL was deprecated in macOS 10.14."? This means somehow openCL is not depreciated for 10.13.6.
"Deprecated" means that they stopped developing/improving OCL.
So the last update was OS 13 which still was buggy (especially too buggy for rendering) and that will now never be mended, instead possibly removed in 10.15 or 10.16 in order to force everyone into using Metal API finally.
So every coming OS will have the untouched 10.13 OCL or even none at all.

Blender reacted with withdrawing OCL support from 2.80 which means Cycles won't render with current nVidia (no Cuda) nor AMD (no OCL) on recent Macs. Only the old stuff will work but you can't update/upgrade.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

epilectrolytics wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:54 am Blender reacted with withdrawing OCL support from 2.80 which means Cycles won't render with current nVidia (no Cuda) nor AMD (no OCL) on recent Macs. Only the old stuff will work but you can't update/upgrade.
This is a big chance for LuxCoreRender plugin to enter this gap.
Fill the gap, touch new users with own performance and comfortability,
grow together with users' satisfaction
and spread well on systems supporting Blender 2.8.

8-)
MacBook Air with M1
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:18 am This is a big chance for LuxCoreRender plugin to enter this gap.
I agree, if it works with newer AMD cards like RX580 or Vega 56 in the current Macs.
I'd like to hear user experiences with such machines.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm Here's some benches, LuxMark, Geek and yours, on my PC and MacBook.
Benchmark over view_epilectrolytics.pdf.zip
And the first data overview, thanks to your input.
(58.22 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
I will collect my data too, including results from Geekbench of two iOS devices, and upload a further overview.

Hopefully, I will get some benchmarks of current AMD cards on both Mac and PC.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

iOS with CPU | GPUs (metal)

Post by FarbigeWelt »

iOS 12.1.3 iPhone xs max

CPU
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11960224
single SFFT 8.84 Gflops
multi SFFT 19.9 Gflops

GPU
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/3630264
SFFT 10.1 Gflops
MacBook Air with M1