Luxcorerender with FreeCAD 0.17

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
photonbuzz2

Luxcorerender with FreeCAD 0.17

Post by photonbuzz2 »

Hello,

I'm trying to render a file exported from FreeCAD 0.17 in luxcorerender-v.2.0-win64-sdk but get this error:

Luxcore RUNTIME ERROR: Invalid IES file in property scene.materials.LUXCORE_MATERIAL_skyplane_0.emission

Does anyone now how to fix this?

The cad object is exported to a .lxs file as illustrated in the figure below, and then opened in luxcorerender.

I added the FreeCAD 0.17 file and the exported .ilx file in the attached zip.

A video recording of the problem can bee seen here https://youtu.be/50Tt_UtTwAo
Attachments
example.zip
(322.37 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Luxcorerender with FreeCAD 0.17

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I think this bug is already fixed in v2.1, you could try with a recent build.
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/pull/123
photonbuzz2

Post by photonbuzz2 »

To stay in my comfort zone, Is there a Windows binary available of 2.1?
photonbuzz2

Post by photonbuzz2 »

Using luxcorerender-v2.1beta4-win64 the FreeCAD 0.17 scene renders, but with a layer of white stripes on top, as shown in the image below. However, the cornell scene looks fine.

Is there any documentation/tutorials about the settings used in .lxs, .scn, and .cfg files? For example, how to set a stop criteria for a render, adjust the resolution, and how to save image files. I can not find this information on the LuxCoreRender User's Manual page.

The .lxs file used for this render is attached.
Attachments
box05.zip
.lxs file used for the render
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

photonbuzz2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 am Using luxcorerender-v2.1beta4-win64 the FreeCAD 0.17 scene renders, but with a layer of white stripes on top, as shown in the image below.
I have never seen this before - maybe a bug?
If you post your scene we can test if we can reproduce it.
photonbuzz2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 am Is there any documentation/tutorials about the settings used in .lxs, .scn, and .cfg files? For example, how to set a stop criteria for a render, adjust the resolution, and how to save image files. I can not find this information on the LuxCoreRender User's Manual page.
This information is in the SDL (scene description language) reference manual:
https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCore_ ... anual_v2.1
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

photonbuzz2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 am... but with a layer of white stripes on top
I got this stripe pattern when using BidirVCM with sobol sampler in LuxCoreUI.
Very slowly the stripes get longer until they cover the whole image.
They show the real render, the image beneath the stripes looks like a prepass or AOV or something.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:18 pm
photonbuzz2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 am... but with a layer of white stripes on top
I got this stripe pattern when using BidirVCM with sobol sampler in LuxCoreUI.
Very slowly the stripes get longer until they cover the whole image.
They show the real render, the image beneath the stripes looks like a prepass or AOV or something.
Yes, the scene posted by photonbuzz2 uses BIDIRCPUVM because the LuxCore LXS parse maps old Lux "bidirectional" surface integrator in LuxCore BIDIRCPUVM render engine ... I have really no idea why I wrote this :shock:

I have fixed the code to use BIDIRCPU instead of BIDIRCPUVM (i.e. a not supported render engine).

@photonbuzz2: as workaround, you can just switch render engine using the "Engine" menu or replace the line:

Code: Select all

SurfaceIntegrator "bidirectional"
with:

Code: Select all

SurfaceIntegrator "path"
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
photonbuzz2

Post by photonbuzz2 »

It works, when selecting any Engine but BIDIRVMCPU in the GUI. Changing SurfaceIntegrator "bidirectional" to SurfaceIntegrator "path" in the .lxs file throws the error:
RUNTIME ERROR: Unknown render engine type in RenderEngine::ToProperties(): PATHOCL

Why does FreeCAD exports a .lxs file when all examples in the scene directory are built around a .cfg file where the geometry are stored in separate .ply files? Are there any special advantages using a .lxs file?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

photonbuzz2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 pm Why does FreeCAD exports a .lxs file when all examples in the scene directory are built around a .cfg file where the geometry are stored in separate .ply files? Are there any special advantages using a .lxs file?
The FreeCAD exporter seems to be very old.
LXS was the file format of the old LuxRender, while CFG/SCN are the formats of the new LuxCoreRender.

If you want a modern exporter, you could transfer your models into Blender and use the BlendLuxCore addon.