When is principled shader coming out?

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
madcat117

When is principled shader coming out?

Post by madcat117 »

Only thing stopping me from switching from cycles
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: When is principled shader coming out?

Post by lacilaci »

madcat117 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:02 am Only thing stopping me from switching from cycles
According to Dade's post here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=774 versions 2.1 and 2.2 will be dedicated to direct and indirect caching mostly and materials will get some love in 2.3
I wonder if there is some estimated timeframe for all these things too, but my hopes are that rather than a "copy" of what cycles is using we get a bit more advanced ubermaterial.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:34 am my hopes are that rather than a "copy" of what cycles is using we get a bit more advanced ubermaterial.
The plan was to implement the Disney principled shader. Personally I hope for as much compatibility with Cycles as possible, to make an automatic material converter easier to create.
What additional features would you like to see?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:38 am
lacilaci wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:34 am my hopes are that rather than a "copy" of what cycles is using we get a bit more advanced ubermaterial.
The plan was to implement the Disney principled shader. Personally I hope for as much compatibility with Cycles as possible, to make an automatic material converter easier to create.
What additional features would you like to see?
microroughness control (look up edge affect fstorm renderer) - this is also long time requested from cycles devs on blender artist and has an existing workaround.
And hopefuly iridescence for coating

And also twosided translucency so that different difuse maps could be used for front/backside (for example a paper where you see what's written on backside)

EDIT: sorry it's angle affect not edge affect in fstorm, basicaly material is more glossy at glancing angles, in cycles there is a node setup for this in this thread: https://blenderartists.org/t/micro-angl ... nce/691900
It's an often requested feature in both cycles and corona, currently I think only fstorm and thea render use this.
And an example of twosided material here: http://randomcontrol.com/blog/2-sided-materials/

I also think emission could be part of princibled material so instead of "material+emission node+color/temperature" we'd have "material+color/temperature" even better if material had it's own switchable power+blackbody/direct color controls so the aim should be to create material node and layering materials if needed instead of having materials being a composite of nodes and then mixed/layered with another set of materials. I know many things are doable as is now.. but the ease of use is very important for people who are either new, or come from renderers that treat them like babies :) so that anyone can focus on their work not worrying about setups and configurations.
madcat117

Post by madcat117 »

2.3 is way too long lmao put it in now how was this not added like 8 months ago i really need to use lux but all my materials are pbr please hurry up and add
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

madcat117 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm 2.3 is way too long lmao put it in now how was this not added like 8 months ago i really need to use lux but all my materials are pbr please hurry up and add
How Devs can hurry up on a project done on free time ? Just wonder ?wich opensource project work like that ?

Or i miss something ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
madcat117

Post by madcat117 »

The same way blender devs do it every night since 2007 lmao
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

madcat117 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:30 am The same way blender devs do it every night since 2007 lmao
Blender / linux distro are Big opensource project with lot of support and ressources compared to Luxcore. But anyway My hope like you is that one day this project reach the same status. We have arround 4 active Dev but only 1 core dev working on free time like others will be so good to add another one and why not 1 more addon dev ;)
Atm the project need any kind of contribution :

-- Try to use it as much as you can.learn it show it capability

-- report bug or idea to improve

-- Mabye you or a friend can like to code for opensource

-- consider to donate

-- contribute to community forum life

-- Plus all the things you know that can help improve

Anyway thank you already for considering the idea to include luxcore in your daily workflow.
Last edited by Sharlybg on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Will the Principle shader be replacing any shaders, or will it just be an addition to?

I like the way the shaders work as they are at present.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Racleborg wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 pm Will the Principle shader be replacing any shaders, or will it just be an addition to?
The latter.