Liquid Volumes

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Racleborg

Liquid Volumes

Post by Racleborg »

Hi

Would someone please point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains how to setup volumes for objects such as a bottle with a liquid inside.

I've done sharlybg's excellent Beer advert tutorial, but can't see anything about the materials.

Thanks
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: Liquid Volumes

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Racleborg wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm Hi

Would someone please point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains how to setup volumes for objects such as a bottle with a liquid inside.

I've done sharlybg's excellent Beer advert tutorial, but can't see anything about the materials.

Thanks
Usually, I use internal volume with IOR node and clear volume for liquids with colors I define looking at view render instant results. And increase the priority compared to external volume like air but lower than the one of containers internal volume.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Here's an example:
Attachments
glass_and_fluid_drawing.png
glass_and_fluid.jpg
glass_and_fluid.blend
(583.32 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

B.Y.O.B and FarbigeWelt

Thank you
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Sorry. Forget post below. It's something to do with scaling :oops:

I've made this work nicely, thank you. I have joined all the meshes, which continues to work. However, when I start a new project and append, the volumes are no longer showing despite all materials and meshes still appearing correct?

This is also happening when I append from the Glass and Fluid example that you uploaded for me.

Thanks
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Racleborg wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm However, when I start a new project and append, the volumes are no longer showing despite all materials and meshes still appearing correct?

This is also happening when I append from the Glass and Fluid example that you uploaded for me.
I have tried, but I can not reproduce this.
Everything works here after appending.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Hi B.Y.O.B

(I edited my last post)

I managed to get it to work by tweaking the Absorption down to 1mm in my original scene, then it works fine.

Maybe my Blender Scene setup is wrong somehow.

BTW. Thanks for the Fabric node fix (Beta 2)
pulgasari

Post by pulgasari »

Is it possible to simulate refraction through dissimilar liquids of different weights and refractive indexes, such as lightly colored oil and water?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Yes. And LuxCore will automatically compute the IORs of the volume boundaries.
pulgasari

Post by pulgasari »

Index of Refraction? Thats pretty good because it is definitely visible in the real world situation. I am just blown away by the quality of some of the Lux renders I've seen here. I'm just a blender beginner. One cool thing, though, I finally got my GPU rendering working properly. On my unsupported distro. And it works great.

I'm still trying to sort out when I can use it and how. But, hey, its fun learning. Thank you all for an absolutely amazing tool.

In the past I have done lighting related things that I would like to explore simulating in the computer when I get a little better.

Am I right in that currently, many of the specular effects with prisms, etc, are not available in their full glory on the GPU, or am I just not getting how to do it as far as the rendering algorithms. Because they work for me on the CPU, but not the GPU.