Direct Light Sampling Cache errors

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Direct Light Sampling Cache errors

Post by Sharlybg »

Very strange, I will check: it sounds like some kind of normal-related problem (aka taking light from "down" instead of "up").
This remind me of a problem i had recently encountered light passing through et glossy solid object. Will post it.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22 pm
kintuX wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 pm 2. It gets more prominent with 'Use Ground Color'.
Very strange, I will check: it sounds like some kind of normal-related problem (aka taking light from "down" instead of "up").
The sky colors were really flipped upside down in sky2 direct light sampling. I have fixed this problem and now the scene renders fine when using matte material:

matte.png

however there is still a problem when using glossy material like in the original test scene:

glossy.png

I'm investing this (different) problem.

A couple of notes about the original scene:

1) the scene is more than 100m large, you can safely use a cache radius of 1m instead of 15cm. The pre-processing will be a LOT faster.

2) Sky, like all environmental light sources, can be very hard to sample so raise the cache warmup samples count to something like 256 (instead of default 12) or you will end with wrong cache entries like shown here:

prob.png
Asticles
Donor
Donor

Post by Asticles »

Thanks for the tips Dade
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Yes, thanks for the fix, tips and tricks ;)

BTW, i can't produce artifacts/splotches anymore :?
Clear glossy surface, Sun & Sky with White Ground

Tried many different values on DLSC:
1. Entry Radius: 0.15 - 0.60 (15 - 60 cm)
2. Warmup Samples: 12 - 16
3. Max. Depth: 2-3-4
4. Max. Samples: 100000 - 10000000 (1-10 million)

:!: Aha, artifacts appeared! with Glossy Material Roughness set to Max. (0.8) ;)
As the Roughness is lowered, their appearance diminishes & from the looks, appear to be "gone" once the value goes below 33% (< 0.25).

Glossy Material Roughness comparison:
DLSC MG Rough 025vs080.GIF
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm :!: Aha, artifacts appeared! with Glossy Material Roughness set to Max. (0.8) ;)
Yes, it is what I was observing, I was using 1 in image above, another quite strange problem.
Asticles
Donor
Donor

Post by Asticles »

Thanks Dave for your support.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

I give up, I looked in this problem for days. It is related to MIS and Glossy direct light sampling Vs Glossy directly light hitting PDFs but I haven't found anything wrong inside the code. I will list it as a known problem: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/158
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:57 am I give up, I looked in this problem for days. It is related to MIS and Glossy direct light sampling Vs Glossy directly light hitting PDFs but I haven't found anything wrong inside the code. I will list it as a known problem: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/158
is this only sky/env light related issue?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

btw, visibility map off makes the issue less visible too. But also visibility map is somehow changing the lighting.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

So I did few quick tests on the scene provided in this thread, I don't get the issue when I use HDRI, I don't get the issue when use sky and disable sun and I don't get the issue with sun&sky if I disable glossy visibility for the sun!

EDIT: nope.. disabling sun glossy didn't fix it.. But at one point the issue was gone.. wtf

EDIT2: Ok so it is actually sky reflection that does this not sun. disabling glossy visibility for sky makes the issue go away