typical lighting

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
modhob

typical lighting

Post by modhob »

i'm a bit confused as to what the standard lighting setup would be for a simple indoor scene.

basically to show off 1 object. You know, with the typical gradient grey background.

there is the 'world' tab where it seems you can set lighting, then of course you can add your own lights.

should the 'world' lighting be turned off, etc. It seems it can be used in combination with lights. Just not clear on how it all should be setup for best lighting.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: typical lighting

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

modhob wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 pm should the 'world' lighting be turned off, etc.
Depends on how you want your scene to look like.

Maybe it would help if you show a picture of what you have in mind as a result, and then we can advise you on how to get there.
Or you can take any tutorial on lighting setups (for real-world photography or for renderers) and replicate it.

I would probably start with a small area light as key light, with slightly orange color.
Then add a larger area light on the opposite side, make it a bit darker and more blueish in color.
If your materials are reflective, add an HDRI in the world settings.
If your object has fine hair, it might be a good idea to also add a rim light (behind the object, small and bright).
But all of this is standard photography/filming setup, not really something special for Lux.
modhob

Post by modhob »

something like this: http://www.barakatgallery.com/Auction/I ... t._058.jpg

texturing is another thing, can't seem to get close to a realistic stone, but I'm sure lighting is half the battle, correct?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

modhob wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am something like this: http://www.barakatgallery.com/Auction/I ... t._058.jpg
You can tell where the lights are positioned by looking at the shadows.
It seems to me that one light is directly above the object and another one is to the upper left of the camera.
The environment seems to be very dark in this image.

I attached an example scene.
For the stone material you should look for a good image texture first.
A glossy material with textured diffuse color and bump should be enough for this mateiral. (maybe also textured roughness if you want to get fancy)
Attachments
lighting_example.blend
(291.3 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
untitled.jpg
modhob

Post by modhob »

ok thx, will take a look.

edit: how come this scene crashes blender (hangs) if I change lux config from CPU to OpenCL?

i've done lots of other stuff with openCL with no crashes so not my GPU or anything.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

modhob wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm crashes blender (hangs)
What exactly happens? Are there error messages? Have you tried waiting? It might be a very long kernel compilation.
What kind of GPU do you have? Nvidia compilers have more problems with complex OpenCL code than AMD compilers.
modhob wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm i've done lots of other stuff with openCL with no crashes so not my GPU or anything.
LuxCore only compiles the features into the OpenCL kernel which are actually used in the scene.
So it can happen that your OpenCL compiler works with most scenes, but crashes in ones that use textures or materials with more complex OpenCL code (or code that triggers a bug in the compiler).

However, there's also the possibility that the bug is in LuxCore's OpenCL code.
I will try to render the scene on my system tonight.

You could also try to use a more simple material for the suzanne model, e.g. a matte material, and see if that works.
modhob

Post by modhob »

ya its something to do with the material. If I remove it, it renders.

with the material, it brings up the render window which is all black, then after a few seconds in the blender window title it says 'not responding'

oh....as I'm writing this, about a minute in, blender is now rendering. So for some reason this scene or material gives my comp a hard time.