medieval UK coin

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
modhob

medieval UK coin

Post by modhob »

Hi, looking to get a nice old coin look. Please see below. I know it's bad, but that is why I'm here, to learn.

Pretty new to the material node stuff, but if someone came up with something, with a screenshot, I know I could plug it in so-to-speak.

I think I'm happy with the model. The detail is in the sculpt, no normal/displacement maps. Just always have problems with texture/lighting to get that really realistic look. For my pic, I just used metal, adjusted the roughness, then tried to get it looking best I could in PS.

lvl1prz1.png
Racleborg

Re: medieval UK coin

Post by Racleborg »

Hi modhop

Coincidentally, I'm working on a old pocket watch which requires a similar sort of 'old' look as your coin. It also has a similar amount of engraved detail (I'm impressed with your sculpting and confess that I've been cheating with a normal map!)

How about a bit of erratic roughness?
Attachments
back.JPG
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

When I compare your render with reference images like this one, it is already close.

About the material: I would try to mix in some Matte to simulate the slight dirt layer, which is diffuse.
Since your coin is sculpted and has enough polygons, you can also try to play around with the Pointiness node, to place more dirt inside the crevices.
Maybe raise the roughness of the metal a bit more.

You should also consider the environment for the lighting.
Highly reflective materials like metal need something to reflect, so a black world background is usually a bad idea.
You can try to use an HDRI, we have some free ones linked in our wiki: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/External ... 28HDRIs.29

And if you need an idea for a scene: You could scatter a few duplicates of the coin on a pile with Blender's physics (use a lowpoly version as collision cage).
Like this: https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/120 ... StVjT6.jpg
modhob

Post by modhob »

ok thx guys. Before I read your posts I played around with it a bit and came up with:
lvl1prz1-2.png
I guess this is what I'm going for:

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/img.php?a= ... 29&f=o&s=l
modhob

Post by modhob »

one more, this time the complete stone look:
lvl1prz1-3.png
kind of like this:

https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net ... ymoney.jpg

can't decide which direction I should go with.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Modhop

I prefer your first version which I think has more detail - particularly to the left of the head and elbow of the rider.

BYOB

I'll definitely try your suggestions on projects such as this.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Lol we appear to be posting at the same time.

You've got the detail back!

They all look good to me, but I still prefer the first :D

Edited: the second also looks a little concave. Could you add the worn look of the second to the first without loosing the fine detail?
modhob

Post by modhob »

Hmm interesting you prefer the 1st. I thought it looked like it was made from lead. I'll try to rough it up as you suggest.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

...I prefer the first for the fine detail and prefer the second for the old material look.
(yes, maybe the first material does look a bit like lead)

Anyway, all your images look great to me in one way or another. :)

Cheers
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

From what you've shown so far I like this one best: download/file.php?id=1285&mode=view
However it seems like the polygons from sculpting are still visible, you probably have to subdivide further and smooth it a bit (e.g. with dyntopo and smooth brush).