LuxCoreRender v2.1alpha0 released

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.1alpha0 released

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm
lacilaci wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:48 am Hi I have GTX 1060 6GB. Do you think that using a 1080 or similar would solve the issue?
I have a GTX 980, if you give me the exact resolution, I can do a test.
lacilaci wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:48 am is there some limitations to using tiles for rendering? Performance issues or other? And can it be used cpu+gpu?
TILEPATH is a bit less efficient in term of performance (there are a lot of CPU <=> GPU comunications going on) but there aren't any other limitation I can think too.
It was a very basic scene with denoiser on, default settings and a 3000x3000 resolution was not possible to render. 1500x1500 was ok I think. Can't do proper testing atm.

I'll try tiles to see how's the performance.

BTW. is there support for portals and maybe some secondary gi caching or advanced adaptivity planned?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm Have you tried the same test with LuxCoreUI or LuxConsole ?
I have now, I commented on the issue (and attached a .bcf).
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... -392347445
lacilaci wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm BTW. is there support for portals
Even better: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/Visibility_Map

For planned features see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:02 pm
Dade wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm Have you tried the same test with LuxCoreUI or LuxConsole ?
I have now, I commented on the issue (and attached a .bcf).
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... -392347445
lacilaci wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm BTW. is there support for portals
Even better: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/Visibility_Map

For planned features see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308
I completely forgot I actually voted on that poll...
Looking forward to see principled shader, just don't forget microroughness or angle affect as it is called somewhere(fstorm?) Anyway, an "ubermaterial" for most purposes in any shape is going to be great imho.

About that visibility map feature, I'm a very basic user and I haven't noticed anything like that in blender's luxcore plug-in. Is this something enabled by default so an interior type of scene would be by default optimized with light samples? Or are there some controls exposed in the plug-in that need to be enabled? Would it work for sun "lamp" too?

And one more thing. Is this thread where I would find latest luxcorerender and maybe blender plug-in too? Or is there a better place to see latest versions. (If the poll would be used for latest features I really want to be updated as many popular features for my purposes seem to be coming to luxcorerender, lol)

Thanks for all the support.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

About that visibility map feature, I'm a very basic user and I haven't noticed anything like that in blender's luxcore plug-in. Is this something enabled by default so an interior type of scene would be by default optimized with light samples? Or are there some controls exposed in the plug-in that need to be enabled? Would it work for sun "lamp" too?
yes already enable under " World panel ==> Performance ==> Visiblity map "
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:28 pm About that visibility map feature, I'm a very basic user and I haven't noticed anything like that in blender's luxcore plug-in. Is this something enabled by default so an interior type of scene would be by default optimized with light samples? Or are there some controls exposed in the plug-in that need to be enabled? Would it work for sun "lamp" too?
It is enabled by default, Sharlybg mentioned where you can turn it off/on.
Btw. here's the wiki on this topic:
https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/Category:BlendLuxCore
https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLux ... erformance

It works on all lights that enclose the scene at infinite distance and light it from all directions: HDRI environment lighting, sky, and flat color background.
Just like portals, it does nothing for sun lights and any other kind of light source (they are sampled in a completely different way).
lacilaci wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:28 pm And one more thing. Is this thread where I would find latest luxcorerender and maybe blender plug-in too? Or is there a better place to see latest versions.
Information about new releases is always posted in this forum ("News").
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

So, actually a update to my problem rendering hi-res images with gpu (or rather a correction)
I just figured I can render hi-res on gpu, but only without denoiser.

The actual error I get(only if denoiser is enabled) is:
The Denoiser sample histogram buffer is too big for GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Intersect device (i.e. CL DEVICE MAX MEM ALLOC SIZE=1610612736): try to reduce related parameters

Using tiled rendering does makes rendering 4K+ images possible on gpu+cpu with denoiser enabled, however I get some nasty artifacts (some tiles are way too blurry as if some colors are leaking from neighboring tiles, and some tiles are black unless I have something like 300+ samples) where the image looks a lot better without denoiser.

Tried to tweak the settings of denoiser but I just made it worse :D

Rendering same scene using cpu only works fine using about 7GB ram during rendering and 11.5GB during denoising. Which I think is pretty heavy ram usage for just two hi poly objects (1.7M faces, 3.2M tris) and a single texture. (just a basic testscene)

Rendering same scene using cpu only but tiled rendering uses 5GB ram during rendering and denoiser won't run.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:01 am The actual error I get(only if denoiser is enabled) is:
The Denoiser sample histogram buffer is too big for GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Intersect device (i.e. CL DEVICE MAX MEM ALLOC SIZE=1610612736): try to reduce related parameters
The denoiser needs to store a lot of information about the rendering and there is no workaround. Your GPU can not allocate a block larger than 1.5GB, It is the hardware problem I was talking before.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties