Glossy transluscent and grass

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
wasd

Re: Glossy transluscent and grass

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm
Oh, aren't they solid ? There may be a mess with inside/outside volumes. Glossy translucent material is like glass, it assumes to enclose a volume and has different behaviors when a ray is going from outside to inside and vice versa. I think this is the source of your problem.

Have you tried to use normal glossy + transparency ? Transparency is a property common to all materials. It also a lot faster to render than glossy translucent material.
Of course they aren't solid. It would be six times more polygons. Wiki is not very informative on that matter.
Nope, I didn't try glossy + transparency. Thank you.
By the way, "glossy + transparency" - what is it exactly?
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

But isn't the "double sided" option exactly for glossy translucent on non-solid geometry like leaves, grass etc.?
wasd

Post by wasd »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm But isn't the "double sided" option exactly for glossy translucent on non-solid geometry like leaves, grass etc.?
It worked with old lux. Besides, if I adjust "opacity" slider, it doesn't look like grass anymore.
First image is done with LuxRender 1.7dev with glossy translucent material for leaves and grass and the second is LuxCore with glossy translucent (with only one grass object, it is missing it's righthand parts).
Attachments
machine-h-5-2.png
ss3.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

wasd wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 pm It worked with old lux. Besides, if I adjust "opacity" slider, it doesn't look like grass anymore.
First image is done with LuxRender 1.7dev with glossy translucent material for leaves and grass and the second is LuxCore with glossy translucent (with only one grass object, it is missing it's righthand parts).
I said opacity for normal glossy, not for glossy translucent.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm But isn't the "double sided" option exactly for glossy translucent on non-solid geometry like leaves, grass etc.?
Is it used ? The posted scene has no materials at all for me.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
wasd

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm
I said opacity for normal glossy, not for glossy translucent.
I tried with normal glossy.
Dade wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:55 pm
It is LuxCore 2.1 alpha0.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Yes it is enabled. The scene has materials here (but you have to select the grass object and press escape while hovering over the image editor on the bottom, to turn it back into a node editor).
wasd

Post by wasd »

There's more:

1. Glossy translucent - missing polygons on the right
2. Simple glossy - everything in place
3. Mixed these two, mix factor = 0.0
4. The same with mix factor = 1.0

upd: polygons disappear also with Matte Translucent and Glass, the same way as they do with Glossy Translucent
Attachments
ss1.png
ss2.png
ss3.png
ss4.png