BlendLuxCore Development

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The new addon now has enough features to replicate my wallpaper scene.
Here's a quick render (7min Bidir on my laptop):
Attachments
wallpaper_test_7min.jpg
Piita
Supporting Users

Post by Piita »

Looking good :)
Piitas.blog
Librem 5 - The privacy focused smart phone
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 pm The new addon now has enough features to replicate my wallpaper scene.
Here's a quick render (7min Bidir on my laptop):
Hummm very interesting. your final render on old forum turn around 3hr. i wonder how the new luxcore/blendluxcore combo outperform the old one on same hardware ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The rendering speed will be about the same, as far as I know there were only small speed improvements in LuxCore code since I rendered the old scene.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:48 pm The rendering speed will be about the same, as far as I know there were only small speed improvements in LuxCore code since I rendered the old scene.
There has been some major change/improvement in the OpenCL code but you are using BiDir so it is CPU-only. The only difference is likely to be the Embree version.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Piita
Supporting Users

Post by Piita »

I have been trying to get a grip on the code but it has been difficult. I managed to get velvet working but I have no idea what I did :)
But it will come to me, it just requires a lot of practice.
I found it very surprising that I did not have to do anything about saving/loading the blend files. I tried saving it, thinking it will crash when I load the file next time but no, the node was there. Weird but good.
I still want to poke around more before asking any questions though.
velvet test.jpg
velvet test.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
Piitas.blog
Librem 5 - The privacy focused smart phone
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Piita wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:43 pm I have been trying to get a grip on the code but it has been difficult.
Yes, this is not a beginner project. As a newcomer you will stumble about advanced Python and programming concepts here and there.
I appreciate that you try to learn everything by yourself, but please don't hesitate to ask questions when it gets frustrating. We can also talk about IRC/Skype/Teamviewer etc. if you want.
Before beginning serious work on BlendLuxCore you should do a few lectures of some Python beginner course and maybe write a few small Blender scripts or addons.
Piita wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:43 pm I managed to get velvet working but I have no idea what I did
That's a nice start. If you push the code to your forked repository I can take a look at it and maybe add a comment here or there.
Piita wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:43 pm I found it very surprising that I did not have to do anything about saving/loading the blend files. I tried saving it, thinking it will crash when I load the file next time but no, the node was there. Weird but good.
That's handled by Blender thankfully. We have to register our properties from the bpy.props module (e.g. bpy.props.IntProperty() for a number) and the saving/loading is then handled by Blender in the background.

btw I moved some posts to a dedicated topic on compiling on windows: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20&p=325
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dispersion should now work properly, even with textured IOR, by using an add texture in the background to do the RGB spread.
Attachments
scrn_2018-01-03_14-46-47.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I added a pointer node which allows to include any material or texture node tree as a node.
This is useful to avoid node tree duplication: E.g. if you have a complex texture setup, you don't have to copy it if you want to use it in several different material node trees. It's a bit like instancing.

I also added Texture node trees.

Demo Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvDuCJ ... yucvtzBkN7
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I improved the error log. Most missing image maps, missing IES files etc. are now reported as warnings.
Critical exceptions that cause the render to abort show up under "errors".
Attachments
scrn_2018-01-05_18-34-04.png