MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Re: MaxToLux - 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Post by TAO »

Great, add the option for minimum and maximum epsilon.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:50 pm
TAO wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:01 pm That's fixed the problem, how epsilon will affect translation and render time?
None.
BTW, epsilon change to a new value (i.e. never used before) causes a kernel recompilation when rendering on GPUs.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Dade wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:20 pm
TAO wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:01 pm That's fixed the problem, how epsilon will affect translation and render time?
None.
BTW, epsilon change to a new value (i.e. never used before) causes a kernel recompilation when rendering on GPUs.
i see i need to add it to the document or at least notify users about it.
Thanks for the heads up.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Dade wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:20 pm
None.
As the Kernel compilation is just a one-time thing, is there a way that forces it to happen, for example when the user just opening software or selecting the LuxCore as renderer and in the background thread so it not that noticable?
Or it's not a good solution in your opinion?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 am As the Kernel compilation is just a one-time thing, is there a way that forces it to happen, for example when the user just opening software or selecting the LuxCore as renderer and in the background thread so it not that noticable?
LuxCore API has the KernelCacheFill() function for this kind of task: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... ore.h#L142

But it currently lack the support for epsilon min./max. definition (they are user defined values so pre-compilation isn't particularly useful: you don't know what values the user is going to pick).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

But it currently lack the support for epsilon min./max. definition (they are user defined values so pre-compilation isn't particularly useful: you don't know what values the user is going to pick).
Do you mean that if we have a default Epsilon Min/Max we can have precompiled build. So that recompilation is needed only when user change epsilon ?
I mean it isn't a value we change quite often so it can save a lot of time.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Sharlybg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Do you mean that if we have a default Epsilon Min/Max we can have precompiled build. So that recompilation is needed only when user change epsilon ?
I mean it isn't a value we change quite often so it can save a lot of time.
Base on what Dade said we can compile the kernel in the background and if someone changes the value it needs to be recompile again, of course, we can inform the user of recompiling and we can do that in a different thread in the background so nobody needs to wait especially in the first time that uses the plugin. That's a better experience for users.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Actually, my first idea was to do it at installation time.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Dade wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:24 pm Actually, my first idea was to do it at installation time.
That's a good idea, i can do it at the end of the installer or after the plugin selected in 3dsmax.
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 pm
patro wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:14 pm dowload the textures, i'll zip my scene. i rendered the sponza 1 layer
sponza layer is the original sponza model
it was on the wrong slot. I fixed a few issues and will send them to you later.
test.jpg
test2.jpg
Hi TAO, I've finally been capable to fix the texture-wrong bump result i was having, now the sponza scene renders smoothly like yours.
Maybe it is a problem related to 3ds max 2021 only.
The fix is to add to all geometries the modidier Unwrap UVW, just adding it, without any editing, if I recall right, it's still not supported by maxtolux, but it does the job.

The image i rendered foir only 40 pass, but it is clear that the modifier do great in this case.
sponza umwrap uvw.jpg
Are you going to release soon a build with the instace support?