MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
patro

Re: MaxToLux - 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Post by patro »

Yes it was Brazil renderer. I remember when this totorial came out it was a must to learn :D
patro

Post by patro »

Hi TAO, i think to have spotted few bugs, but i need to know if they are meant first.

sure a bug: when rendering perspective view - no camera, what is shown in render doesn't match the rendered view in max.

I tried clear volume and homogeneous volume.
I added clear volume as fog, playng with the setting delivers always same density.
I added the homogeneous volume to a mesh, followed the blender tutorial from dravia, i didn't notice any change in my renders.
may you share a showcase scene.

Light material, playing with the gain and efficency won't affect lighting in the render.

btw, i can't really test maxtolux since instances aren't supported, i have large scenes with lots of instances, if i hit render now MaxtoLux abort render before running out of ram.

Thank you
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:37 pm Hi TAO, i think to have spotted few bugs, but i need to know if they are meant first.

sure a bug: when rendering perspective view - no camera, what is shown in render doesn't match the rendered view in max.

I added clear volume as fog, playng with the setting delivers always same density.
I added the homogeneous volume to a mesh, followed the blender tutorial from dravia, i didn't notice any change in my renders.

Light material, playing with the gain and efficency won't affect lighting in the render.

btw, i can't really test maxtolux since instances aren't supported, i have large scenes with lots of instances, if i hit render now MaxtoLux abort render before running out of ram.

Thank you
I do not think the instance should be a big issue for you at the moment, because i test it with more than 500000 objects (of course low poly objects), and with OpenCl it took less than 6 GB of memory unless you have high poly instanced objects.
Othe part i need to check first.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 pm I do not think the instance should be a big issue for you at the moment, because i test it with more than 500000 objects (of course low poly objects), and with OpenCl it took less than 6 GB of memory unless you have high poly instanced objects.
A very vague rule of thumb is: 10,000,000 of triangles for 1 GB of GPU ram.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Dade wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:37 pm
TAO wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 pm I do not think the instance should be a big issue for you at the moment, because i test it with more than 500000 objects (of course low poly objects), and with OpenCl it took less than 6 GB of memory unless you have high poly instanced objects.
A very vague rule of thumb is: 10,000,000 of triangles for 1 GB of GPU ram.
Thank you for the heads up. is that the same for system Memory too?
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:37 pm Hi TAO, i think to have spotted few bugs, but i need to know if they are meant first.

Thank you
So base on Dade point just hit the 7 number on the keyboard and simply check how many triangles your scene has.
Of course, I'll try to implement instance objects very soon but till then you need to be a little bit patient.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:48 pm Thank you for the heads up. is that the same for system Memory too?
Yes, more or less, keep in mind image maps usually take the majority of RAM in most scenes.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Thank you
I do not think the instance should be a big issue for you at the moment, because i test it with more than 500000 objects (of course low poly objects), and with OpenCl it took less than 6 GB of memory unless you have high poly instanced objects.
Othe part i need to check first.
They are all high poly instanced objects, and it goes up to 12Gb ram being still in the middle of the process... before maxtolux abort the process itself.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

I'll try to implement a quick solution very soon.
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 pm So base on Dade point just hit the 7 number on the keyboard and simply check how many triangles your scene has.
Of course, I'll try to implement instance objects very soon but till then you need to be a little bit patient.
I've cheked the scene by hitting 7
polys 34.771.035
verts 17.742.370