MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
patro

Re: MaxToLux - 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Post by patro »

Hi Tao,
I downloaded blender and blendluxcore and i'm a noob, I noticed that on my laptop the export/compiling of a test scene is also time consuming, but the way LuxCore renders is simply stunning.

I have a question, what about light groups, in luxrender we could edit the different light groups by gain, color and power while rendering. Is this supported in maxtolux? I coundn't find it in blender but as I said i'm a total noob with blender.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 pm Hi Tao,
I downloaded blender and blendluxcore and i'm a noob, I noticed that on my laptop the export/compiling of a test scene is also time consuming, but the way LuxCore renders is simply stunning.

I have a question, what about light groups, in luxrender we could edit the different light groups by gain, color and power while rendering. Is this supported in maxtolux? I coundn't find it in blender but as I said i'm a total noob with blender.
You can find it in blender just take your time or ask in forum.
In 3dsmax i will add the group light after adding face_ID because many 3dsmax Artist use polygon and face id for materials and then i'll do the light group.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

patro wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 pm I have a question, what about light groups, in luxrender we could edit the different light groups by gain, color and power while rendering. Is this supported in maxtolux? I coundn't find it in blender but as I said i'm a total noob with blender.
The lightgroup workflow in Blender was changed for v2.5, you can find a video about the new behaviour here: https://youtu.be/vqigKhwWxIs
They are now manipulated in the Blender compositor.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am
patro wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 pm I have a question, what about light groups, in luxrender we could edit the different light groups by gain, color and power while rendering. Is this supported in maxtolux? I coundn't find it in blender but as I said i'm a total noob with blender.
The lightgroup workflow in Blender was changed for v2.5, you can find a video about the new behaviour here: https://youtu.be/vqigKhwWxIs
They are now manipulated in the Blender compositor.
Nice, to be honest, I don't know how to implement this part because 3dsmax doesn't have a compositor. in new Arnold version they add a node base compositor but it works just with Arnold renderer.
I'm still thinking of how can I do that.
dolphinoff

Post by dolphinoff »

It is potible with VFB like in Corona renderer or V-rayImage
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

dolphinoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm It is possible with VFB like in Corona renderer or V-ray
All of the renderers you named are like Arnold and they all implement their own VFB and compositor for this purpose.
I'll try my best to find a good solution for it and if it's not going to work I'll going to create Lux Visual frame buffer as well.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

TAO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:18 am Nice, to be honest, I don't know how to implement this part because 3dsmax doesn't have a compositor.
Just for light group manipulation, you don't need a full compositor. The only operations you really need are multiply and linear interpolation (aka lerp).
The output of a light group in LuxCore is just a color image. Such an image can be multiplied with a constant color to give it a tint (e.g. yellow, blue, green etc.), or multiplied with shades of grey/white to darken or lighten the image.
Multiple light groups manipulated in this way can then be combined by linear interpolation to mix them together into a final result.

So if 3ds Max allows you to create a custom interface for this operation, it shouldn't be too hard to create your own "mini-compositor" that does just these mixing operations for light groups.
dolphinoff

Post by dolphinoff »

If you meake VFB, it will be unbelievable :)
Thanks for great work.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Moving MaxToLux installer to Wix to have a better user experience, look and also be opensource on this part of the project too.
installer-Wix.jpg
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

TAO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:21 am Moving MaxToLux installer to Wix to have a better user experience, look and also be opensource on this part of the project too.

installer-Wix.jpg
It look refreshing and very nice. Will be even better with a more finished and polished background render ;) (maybe your last livingroom render)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA