BlendLuxCore Wiki Pages

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

BlendLuxCore Wiki Pages

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I finally took the time to write some more stuff into the wiki pages.
You can see links to the new pages in this issue: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/44

It's really amazing how much you can write on even a setting as mundane as the "film refresh interval"...
BYOB in the wiki wrote:Final Refresh Interval: How often to update the film during final render, in seconds. The update refreshes all AOVs (passes) of the render layer that is currently being rendered. For long renders, it is recommended to use a long refresh interval, e.g. 600 (10 minutes) because it costs a bit of CPU time to perform the update. Note that during the first few seconds of rendering, the image refreshes much more often to give you a good quick preview (this behaviour is disabled when rendering animations). This value can be changed during a final render. If you change other settings during final render where this is possible, for example tonemapping or light groups, a film refresh will be forced automatically so you don't have to wait for the next scheduled film refresh.
If you find issues, spelling mistakes, horrible english etc. please tell me so I can fix it.
Or, even better, you can create an account and start editing yourself.
Asticles
Donor
Donor

Re: BlendLuxCore Wiki Pages

Post by Asticles »

Great!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I wrote the world panel page in the wiki: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLuxCore_WorldPanel
Dade, can you elaborate on the samples and importance settings? (See the "Performance" section at the bottom)
I am not sure how they work exactly and how they interact with e.g. the light strategy.
When should the user raise the samples setting?
Are importance and samples supported by all engines?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 pm Dade, can you elaborate on the samples and importance settings? (See the "Performance" section at the bottom)
I am not sure how they work exactly and how they interact with e.g. the light strategy.
When should the user raise the samples setting?
Are importance and samples supported by all engines?
The samples setting has not effect now :mrgreen: It was used before by BIASPATH but it is now gone. I guess we can simple remove it.

The "importance" is supported by all engines and it used to scale the light "importance" computed by light strategy. For instance, if you set an uniform light strategy, a light with an user "importance" of 2.0 will be sampled 2 more times than one with 1.0.
If you use a power light strategy, the user "importance" will be multiplied by the light power to weight how much the light will be sampled.

Usually, you want to use always uniform light strategy when you manually set the "importance" (so you have full control on how the lights are sampled).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Thanks. Added the explanation to the wiki page.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The light settings page is more or less finished: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLuxCore_LightPanel
If you find any mistakes or if I left something important out, please tell me or correct it yourself (you can register wiki accounts).

There's also a new, short article about network rendering: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLux ... _Rendering
(from version beta3 onward).