Angular roughness/Angular glossiness

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Theo_Gottwald

Angular roughness/Angular glossiness

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

In today's Blender 2.8 tutorial, (the video editor) want to share a secret (or at least very uncommon) technique to make your Blender materials instantly better. It is called angular roughness (or fresnel glossiness etc.) and works both for Eevee and Cycles rendering engines.

Video on the topic:
Angular Roughness

Discussion on the Blender-Artist Forum

As i did not see the Layer-Weight node in Luxcore, my question is, how this is done using Luxcore-Nodes.
Last edited by Theo_Gottwald on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Angular roughness/Angular glossynes

Post by Sharlybg »

It is automatic in luxcore :
Lux__fresnel.jpg
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

So that means that for any material that has a roughness, Luxcore does the angular roughness automatic?
Interesting to know.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

LuxCore does not do this, roughness is not view-dependent in LuxCore.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:17 pm LuxCore does not do this, roughness is not view-dependent in LuxCore.
So it is angular Specularity ? if not too. are the current shader definition realistic ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

If not, how did Sharlybg make these screenshots?
chafouin

Re: Angular roughness/Angular glossiness

Post by chafouin »

It's the usual fresnel effect (angular specularity if you will), but it's not angle-dependent roughness.
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Ok, and which Luxcore Nodes would you use for angular roughness - like in the video - then?
lighting_freak

Post by lighting_freak »

Hi all,

I think the "glossy" material node has an option called "IOR". If one select this the amount of reflection is calculated by Fresnel law.

The Fresnel law makes a reflection more bright with more plain observation angle.

Additionally the roughness parameter could be used to scatter this reflected light. Et voila, you got an angular roughness!

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lighting_freak wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:54 pm I think the "glossy" material node has an option called "IOR". If one select this the amount of reflection is calculated by Fresnel law.
The IOR mode is just another input method instead of specular color. Internally the IOR is just used to calculate specular brightness for the material.
Afterwards, the calculations happening are the same (according to fresnel laws etc.).
See https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... y2.cpp#L69
(In BlendLuxCore the specular color is set to 1, 1, 1 in this case).
So the IOR input mode is only useful if you have an IOR table containing the value you want to use for the coating material, e.g. water IOR = 1.33 for a wet leaf or something like that.