LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
david57

Re: LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Post by david57 »

Thanks, Im glad to be here.
Maybe some one can tell me where I can start working.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Here, here... on the last three options and slowly growing ;)
rombout

Post by rombout »

HI there,

i was wondering if anyone successfully has made an OSX version. All links ive found so far are a dead end. Also the sit Luxrender.org shows links for an OSX version which are dead. There are no downloads so i wonder, why show a OSX link then?

I dont have any experience building blender builds orso.

Does any one know perhaps of a working link to a OSX working version of luxrender?

I tried adding an account on luxrender.net but they havent updated there capcha code generator on the register page. Therefor i cant register and there is no way or that i could find to contact any one about that. On the facts page they talk about connecting with a board member, but without an account you cant do anything there.

So if any one knows a person there high up, perhaps they can update the register page so new people can make an account
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

rombout wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am i was wondering if anyone successfully has made an OSX version.
Yes, the code can be compiled and works: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58&start=40#p1091

But we lack a maintainer for packing an official version.
rombout wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am All links ive found so far are a dead end. Also the sit Luxrender.org shows links for an OSX version which are dead. There are no downloads so i wonder, why show a OSX link then?
Uh, where ? There is written "(macOS may be available, we need a maintainer)" https://luxcorerender.org/download :?:
rombout wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am I tried adding an account on luxrender.net but they havent updated there capcha code generator on the register page. Therefor i cant register and there is no way or that i could find to contact any one about that. On the facts page they talk about connecting with a board member, but without an account you cant do anything there.

So if any one knows a person there high up, perhaps they can update the register page so new people can make an account
The old site is in an abandoned state. It is exactly the reason why we created all the new stuff here.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
jensverwiebe
Supporting Users

Post by jensverwiebe »

rombout wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am HI there,

i was wondering if anyone successfully has made an OSX version. All links ive found so far are a dead end. Also the sit Luxrender.org shows links for an OSX version which are dead. There are no downloads so i wonder, why show a OSX link then?

I dont have any experience building blender builds orso.

Does any one know perhaps of a working link to a OSX working version of luxrender?

I tried adding an account on luxrender.net but they havent updated there capcha code generator on the register page. Therefor i cant register and there is no way or that i could find to contact any one about that. On the facts page they talk about connecting with a board member, but without an account you cant do anything there.

I have macOS luxcorerender alpha7 in testing. Works only on cpu and amd.
But its unclear what happens with NVidia gpu here.
Either opencl is still broken for NVidia or it affects only gpu's that use the NVidia webdriver ( aka not build in by apple ).
Also i stay with 10.11 to not break my expensive audio software again.

I encourage macOS users first to test luxmark3.1 to make sure it works across the board anyway:
On 10.11 amd works, but nvidias put out luxball too dark. The microphone scene even fails with an enqueue error.
I saw even benchmarks done on osx/macOS that showed the wrong outcome and noone noticed.

Then again opencl is dead on macOS, the next thing upcoming is metalcompute ( amd uses it in the april prorender beta )

So many unanswered questions making me doubt its worth the efford.

If someone has proven luxmark3.1 runs on his nvidia gpu ( macbook, imac, or macpro or even with a tb breakoutbox ),
he can ping me and test further luxcorerender. Atm. only wanna see if any os version works.

EDIT: nvm, sorted this out. Found an old ssd and installed 10.13. Its again a gamechanger: what worked before broke and some broken stuff starts to work finally. With a few tweaks i got luxmark to work for all scenes , all gpu vendors. Its a hazzle for developers. Dunno how 10.12 will do. Ppl must test luxmark.

Then i went on testing luxmark scenes (ball/mic/hotel) in luxcorerender alpha7, again a different situation.
Result: With a bunch of tweaks i got this finally to work on macOS 10.13 with nvidia too as well as amd.

Jens
junebug12851

Post by junebug12851 »

If this helps any Travis CI is a continuous integration that works especially well for projects on github and they offer a Mac OSX build environment alongside Linux and Windows.

I really think a CI system would be enormously beneficial to the project as a whole and really bring everyone onboard and connected better. The more that can be automated by Travis means more work done for you in the background on each and every commit complete with build notifications, any error messages, any tests, build artifacts, and the website can just link to the latest successful release from Travis that's marked production ready plus we can get a lot of other systems like slackware for developer chat room with Travis posting success or failure messages to it for example.

I'm just seeing an end goal where as far as a dedicated "builder" per se for each of the platforms isn't manual builds and uploads but all done automatically by Travis and the only think the developers would have to worry about is developing letting Travis do just about everything else that you can think of which can be automated.

I think it's an awesome idea but any thoughts on this from others?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

We already have Travis CI for both LuxCore and BlendLuxCore.
However it currently only runs tests on Linux and the builds are discarded afterwards.
See also https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LinuxCompile/issues/4
If you can help with that, it would be great :)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

BTW, junebug12851, this is the relevant thread for MacOS building: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58

You may find some useful information there.
klayman

Post by klayman »

I have some ideas on improving the website design:
  • Each slide of the slider on the main page should be wrapped in a link.
  • Text in the Major Features blocks shouldn't be terminated with dots. I think it would be fine to leave only the first sentence for every block and rewrite the text for the "LuxCore API" block.
  • It's better to use the CSS text-transform: uppercase; property instead of the all-caps text (e.g. for headers).
  • It may arguable, but I'd avoid centering the content (Download, Gallery, Advanced Features pages).
  • I'd replace the inline styles with CSS rules (and also replace the nested p > em > strong tags with just styled h2 or h3).
  • The new site is missing a favicon - I think the old one would work nice here too.
What do you think, guys? I think I can help with these, as I have some experience with CSS and Wordpress themes.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

klayman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am I have some ideas on improving the website design:
  • Each slide of the slider on the main page should be wrapped in a link.
  • Text in the Major Features blocks shouldn't be terminated with dots. I think it would be fine to leave only the first sentence for every block and rewrite the text for the "LuxCore API" block.
  • It's better to use the CSS text-transform: uppercase; property instead of the all-caps text (e.g. for headers).
  • It may arguable, but I'd avoid centering the content (Download, Gallery, Advanced Features pages).
  • I'd replace the inline styles with CSS rules (and also replace the nested p > em > strong tags with just styled h2 or h3).
  • The new site is missing a favicon - I think the old one would work nice here too.
What do you think, guys? I think I can help with these, as I have some experience with CSS and Wordpress themes.
It would be very useful. The WordPress style is available here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/WebSite

If you are interested, I could setup a test site at www-test.luxcorerender.org where we could do all the experiments/development we want.

You should probably talk about the web site with Sharlybg, he never really liked the current implementation :lol: