Little Addon for optical lenses etc.

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
wasd

Re: Little Addon for optical lenses etc.

Post by wasd »

Tried rendering with lens. I didn't know how exactly lens are in real camera, so I downloaded free model to have some reference.
I managed to get actual image.
cdf-lens.jpg
I guess lenses in this model aren't very accurate. I need to replace it with good lenses from plugin.
Here's the camera:
cam.jpg
@CodeHD did you try to render something through lens system? With dispersion? Does it give those coulorful flares?
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Hi wasd,

Yeah, that image looks very irregularly distorted.

So far I've only tried two things. The lens system shown before, see also this thread which shows the focus:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1852

It is accurately modelled after a real design. I've once imaged a scene through a full verison, and it actually worked very well. I did not try chromatic abberations or lens flares though.

Another quick attempt with many lenses was this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1207

it was modelled by eye on a background image as described there. Seemed to work roughly but, of course, rendering this many refractions is inefficient and Metropolis seemed to clear it very patchy.

If you are looking for real designs to use, there are free libraries around such as this one by Qioptiq:

http://www.qioptiq-shop.com/Optik-Softw ... brary.html

(minding patents of individual design possibly, as it states on their site). You can install the free version of WinLens to inspect the lenses. Or you can even open the files in a text editor and read the parameters from there, but it is a bit messy to get lens radii and distances between surfaces.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Turns out I hadn't tested the latest updates enough with LuxCore in rendered mode... Split Normals aren't supported.

I just pushed an update to use Auto Smooth for now.
wasd

Post by wasd »

is there way to stop winlens flashing this?
crapshit.jpg
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

I'm not a WinLens user myself (once had a look at it before), so I just installed it again to check.

It seems it just complains about old glass types that are not manufactured anymore.
If you just want to replicate a lens in LuxCore for rendering you can safely ignore it. It would only be a problem if you want to actually manufacture the lens system in real life ;)
wasd

Post by wasd »

I figured that much. I just can't do anything with that crap blinking.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

wasd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 pm I just can't do anything with that crap blinking.
Hmm, what exactly odoesn't work? I seem to be able to use all features of WInLens Basic even with the warning.
wasd

Post by wasd »

The problem is blinking. It's distracting, the only thing I can think is the person who invented that blinker and things I want to do to that "software designer".
wasd

Post by wasd »

It seems nobody use winlens 3d basic. Google gives nothing beside dev site. Their manual also crappy.
wasd

Post by wasd »

Managed to replace glass via Database/Glass Database map, but that software design from early 90s is something.