Emission Unit Artistic/Power

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Taka
Donor
Donor

Emission Unit Artistic/Power

Post by Taka »

Hi there,

I noticed that "Artistic" was added to the Emission Unit as a default. But when I switch between Artistic and Power, brightness of the emission changes tremendously(Artistic to be darker). I understand idea behind it to be more artist friendly but brightness shouldn't change just switching between. Because of this, my assets using "Power" previously all look a lot darker now. Is this an expected behavior? Thanks,
Taka
Donor
Donor

Re: Emission Unit Artistic/Power

Post by Taka »

I guess those values are not linked. But shouldn't they be?
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

The reason why it gets brighter when using Power is that now a bug in BlendLuxCore has been fixed to make Power work the way it was always supposed to be in LuxRender.
Which means that now, when using Power, the brightness is normalized, it will look as bright for any hue, and changing the value of the color won't have any effect.

Having said that, this is incorrect for radiometric units like Power, they shouldn't be normalized. I want to introduce Normalize as an option for photometric units that I want to add in the future.
There is a nasty way to do it (as in, undo what LuxCore does in BlendLuxCore) but I would rather have the change happen in LuxCore directly, so it's cleaner. I'm afraid it could break retro-compatibility for people who used LuxCore outside of Blender (you could always enable the new normalize option then), but it will get back to how it was in Blender at least.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

chafouin wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 am The reason why it gets brighter when using Power is that now a bug in BlendLuxCore has been fixed to make Power work the way it was always supposed to be in LuxRender.
Which means that now, when using Power, the brightness is normalized, it will look as bright for any hue, and changing the value of the color won't have any effect.

Having said that, this is incorrect for radiometric units like Power, they shouldn't be normalized. I want to introduce Normalize as an option for photometric units that I want to add in the future.
There is a nasty way to do it (as in, undo what LuxCore does in BlendLuxCore) but I would rather have the change happen in LuxCore directly, so it's cleaner. I'm afraid it could break retro-compatibility for people who used LuxCore outside of Blender (you could always enable the new normalize option then), but it will get back to how it was in Blender at least.
Indeed now, it's a mess. Having it all exposed was just simply practical & convenient.
So would you kindly revert it back until you have made it working properly, seamlessly switching - w/o user needing to do guess work adapting and taking its precious time?
TIA
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

The BlendLuxCore bug was fixed by neo2068 in this commit: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... a5ca2dbf34
Please reach out to him, I don't have any administrator rights to decide what gets in or out.
kintuX wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm Indeed now, it's a mess
It is just now working the way it was always intended in LuxRender/LuxCore.
I have contacted Dade to inform him about it and what changes should occur but I assume he is too busy with other tasks. It is up to him to decide if he wants to break compatibility to fix an old mistake, or keep it but break scenes that were authored in Blender.
kintuX wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm Having it all exposed was just simply practical & convenient.
Could you give more info about how it was more practical and convenient? Do you mean having Gain, Power and Efficacy all displayed in the UI at the same time? I was under the impression that no one understood how to use Artistic controls by setting Power or Efficacy to 0.
The bug fix has nothing to do with the UI changes.

Keep in mind that you always have the option to stick to main releases and not daily builds if you don't want to have to deal with compatibility issues.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

chafouin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 pm The BlendLuxCore bug was fixed by neo2068 in this commit: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... a5ca2dbf34
Please reach out to him, I don't have any administrator rights to decide what gets in or out.
TYVM for the info, I'll try to revert those back myself...

Edit: Nope, can't do it. Still too ignorant, inexperienced to tackle the task ... ah well, will continue chiming when time allows.
chafouin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 pm Could you give more info about how it was more practical and convenient? Do you mean having Gain, Power and Efficacy all displayed in the UI at the same time? I was under the impression that no one understood how to use Artistic controls by setting Power or Efficacy to 0.
Yes. So simple, indeed. I'm just not that vocal and persistent when it comes to territorial conflicts ;)
chafouin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 pm Keep in mind that you always have the option to stick to main releases and not daily builds if you don't want to have to deal with compatibility issues.
I know and will do, if such a need occurs (but most likely will just go with the flow).
I'm simply hoping to help with open source projects a bit by sharing my experience and opinion.
In production I'm using other tools, which are simply more efficient and practical, but closed source.

Be well
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

Thanks to Dade, there is now a new flag to choose to normalize the Power intensity by the Color Luminance.
Default in BlendLuxCore is OFF to match previous behaviour and Cycles.