sheen and sheen tint

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

sheen and sheen tint

Post by lacilaci »

those two sliders on disney material don't do anything at all... do they?
juangea
Donor
Donor

Re: sheen and sheen tint

Post by juangea »

I also noticed this, in Cycles they give like the velvet effect.

Usually we need to force it more than 1.0, to 3 or 4, but I also noticed that in Lux it's capped at 1.0, depending on the effect it should give may be reasonable to remove that upper limit.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

juangea wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 pm I also noticed this, in Cycles they give like the velvet effect.

Usually we need to force it more than 1.0, to 3 or 4, but I also noticed that in Lux it's capped at 1.0, depending on the effect it should give may be reasonable to remove that upper limit.
Well yes it should create a bit of backscatter effect for quick cheap cloth look but in luxcore it doesn't seem to do anything.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

Yes, I see the same, no effect at all in lux.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

hm. so it does seem to work, but very weak.
no sheen
A.jpg
sheen
B.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Always refer the original Disney material to know how it is supposed to work:

param1.jpg
param2.jpg

If Lux doesn't work like that, it is a bug.

As you can see the expected Sheen behavior is a bit subtle but it is there.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

juangea wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 pm I also noticed this, in Cycles they give like the velvet effect.

All Disney material parameters are, by design, between 0.0 and 1.0. It is the concept around which the material has been developed. If Cycles accepts values over 1.0, it is doing something different from the original Disney concept (and it may not be a good idea because Disney BRDF is now a de-facto industrial standard available across many applications).
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

But we don’t have to loose sight that it was an artist driven BRDF, and even from Disney they say that some values can surpass the 1.0 limit to achieve different effects, like the specular one:
The specular parameter may be pushed beyond one to reach higher ior values but should be done with caution.
This is from this document:
https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.c ... tes_v2.pdf

Sheen is not mentioned explicitly, but due to its behaviour it’s clear that for it to be useful in many situations we need to be able to push the 1.0 limit, that’s why in Cycles is not limited, to keep in mind that it’s not a "physics" shader, but an "artists" shader :)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

juangea wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:11 pm Sheen is not mentioned explicitly, but due to its behaviour it’s clear that for it to be useful in many situations we need to be able to push the 1.0 limit, that’s why in Cycles is not limited, to keep in mind that it’s not a "physics" shader, but an "artists" shader :)
You can't use values over 1.0 for Sheen, it would break energy conservation law (i.e. it would create light from nowhere). Check the code: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... y.cpp#L209

Sheen parameter is used for a linear interpolation between 2 colors so if a value > 1.0 it will start to glow. It something can give you a lot of problems. As far as I remember, there was a thread on BlenderArtists about this problem :?:

I could allow values > 1.0 and than clip, between 0.0 and 1.0, the result of the linear interpolation; this solution would not break energy conservation law and allow the user to force the result more toward the sheen tint :idea:
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

That could be enough, in the end we just need some artistic control to give sheen more appearance, if it’s easy to implement maybe you can add it to a 2.3 build, we can test it and if it’s good enough it can stay, if it looks great it could just be removed :)