Random optics stuff

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Random optics stuff

Post by CodeHD »

Time to open a WIP collection for myself, to keep sharing more stuff I try...

Today I couldn't help but procrastinate :D , so I decided to test the boundaries of working with complex lens systems in LuxCore, and to try how easy the lens addon is to use.

So, I searched for an image of the design of some DSLR lens, put it in Blender as a background image and model the lenses on top in ortho view. I picked the Zeiss Otus 55mm lens, which has a total of 12 elements, or 24 specular surfaces. Then, as usual, the detector as a thin slab of matte translucent and an aperture at the front.
outs_setup2.PNG
outs_setup3.PNG
Of course, the refractive indices are just coarsely guessed, and I only assumed two glass types - which is probably wrong, as is the location of the aperture at the front of the lens.
outs_setup1.PNG
Finally, after a bit of fiddling around, I managed to get a nice result. The following was only 1 minute render time with Hybrid PathCPU:
EDIT: And that is even 1 minute on my notebook (i7-4800MQ)
otusrender.png
Fox

Re: Random optics stuff

Post by Fox »

With no lens formula it's hard to get the lens in focus.
I played little with the Zeiss ZM 35mm 1.4 Distagon design, but the Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan looks interesting.
It's a 3 element lens with soap bubble bokeh like below:

Not a sharp lens, but got me wondering if it would be possible to render like that :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51WiLr_kjk

:D The company went bankruptcy, many kickstarter backer lost the money, but it was sexy 3 element lens for $2000
https://youtu.be/tEAyYHvluog?t=44
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Fox wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:50 pm With no lens formula it's hard to get the lens in focus.
I played little with the Zeiss ZM 35mm 1.4 Distagon design, but the Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan looks interesting.
It's a 3 element lens with soap bubble bokeh like below:
Indeed, the exact curvatures are very important :)
Fortunately, you can find some designs online, e.g. on the wikipedia page for the Cooke Triplet, which seems to be the base design the Trioplan uses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooke_triplet

The blend-file I uploaded earlier in the following thread uses this design:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1210

Unfortunately, that didn't show the soap bubble Bokeh, there must be some important detail about the lens curvatures to get it ;)
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

A current WIP to redo a setup visualisation, for which I was trying to make a clean model of an optical table. The top plate with the holes will be implemented into my OptiCore plugin. The screw threads in the holes are done with band texture as bump map at the moment. The metal texture will also need a bit more work (or simply a different texture).

I'm only on laptop this week, takes quite long here to generate the mesh with so many vertices of the holes, but I wanted a single mesh instead of instanciated patches for the sake of it ;) The custom split-normals approach even crashes in some cases :D
Attachments
render7_2.png
render7_detail.png
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Loop Textures

Post by FarbigeWelt »

CodeHD wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm The metal texture will also need a bit more work (or simply a different texture).
Lately I was looking for a description how to generate ‚endless‘, ‚loop‘ textures.

The following links to a short tutorial for photoshop.
The principle is actually quite easy after you read and understood how to perform it.

DeepL on linguee.de should be a good help for those who need German-English translation.

https://www.tonytextures.de/photoshop-t ... erstellen/
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: Loop Textures

Post by CodeHD »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:27 am The following links to a short tutorial for photoshop.
The principle is actually quite easy after you read and understood how to perform it.
Thanks for the suggestion, it's always good to know methods to achieve certain looks. Indeed, with metal surfaces I have seen different looks, like "brushed", i.e. sanded in one direction; or sanded randomly, with an appearance of circular scratches; and also a color pattern in some cases but not all (I assume diffractive).