Refreshing the LuxCore Wiki

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
plasmapeppers

Refreshing the LuxCore Wiki

Post by plasmapeppers »

While an incredible source of information, the current wiki is old and not terribly attractive. There are a couple important questions to ask of the Forum Users:

Would you like a New Wiki?
Would you participate in the Wiki Rewrite?
What platform would you prefer?
Lincoln Deen

Re: Refreshing the LuxCore Wiki

Post by Lincoln Deen »

I like the idea of a new wiki, here are my thoughts.

The major benifit of a new wiki would be easier to grasp for more casual/newer users. With the 2.8 support coming, I think this is more important than ever. Giving a solid overview of the software with not just a how - but a why - could be really awesome.

I would participate in a new wiki rewrite! Can't commit to a certian amount, but doing the PGI docs was enjoyable and i would love to contribute

The preferred platform for me would be readthedocs.io, because of its straightforward design and clear layout. Also, new LuxCore users coming from blender might feel better at home in a familiar UI.
That being said, I'm totally open to different suggestions and excited to see what we come up with :D
Andropof91h

Post by Andropof91h »

Totally.

I have 0 experience, but i would like to help and offer my free time for it because I think it's a really important thing that needs to be done, as i've already mentioned on the discord server.

I would suggest wiki.js as open source software to create the wiki, it seems like it's appearance can be personalized much more compared to readthedocs.io
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The main reason why we are considering to use a different wiki service than the current MediaWiki is that the MediaWiki syntax is obscure and cumbersome to learn and use. The new wiki service should offer a simple and standardized syntax, for example Markdown. It should be easy to contribute to the wiki.

Another feature the new wiki should offer is a good full-text search. So github wiki is out I fear, you can only search for page titles there.
(Note that the current MediaWiki has full-text search)

edit: Markdown might not be ideal, see https://www.ericholscher.com/blog/2016/ ... ical-docs/
However, alternatives with similar simplicity exist, like reStructuredText.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 pm The main reason why we are considering to use a different wiki service than the current MediaWiki is that the MediaWiki syntax is obscure and cumbersome to learn and use. The new wiki service should offer a simple and standardized syntax, for example Markdown. It should be easy to contribute to the wiki.
Ok but we need to check first if the new option is supported by the current hosting service (base on Cpannel so a lot of stuff is supported). Ask and I will check.

P.S. in my opinion is more about if people work on it or not, I'm not sure if a different tool will produce a different result from the current status.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
DEBIHOOD

Post by DEBIHOOD »

plasmapeppers wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:19 pm Would you like a New Wiki?
Of course yes! why not!? I think that the current documentation is not complete and some functions are not listed, so for beginners who are just learning luxcore it can be difficult
plasmapeppers wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:19 pm Would you participate in the Wiki Rewrite?
I can write about what I know, but the truth is, since I use a translator to write these messages, I will need a person who will help me correct errors in the translation. I can also translate documentation into Russian, luxcore’s Russian-speaking community is very small, and newbies are not so willing to go to luxcore, there are no tutorials in Russian, and most often these same people know English very poorly, so they stop learning luxcore, and learn the cycles, because there are a large number of tutorials in Russian :?
plasmapeppers wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:19 pm What platform would you prefer?
oh i don't know this question is not for me :D :D 8-)
stansu

Post by stansu »