PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade »

I tried the B.Y.O.B.'s idea of having a mix over glossy between brute force and cache. This is a test with a sharp transition (just immagine to add a blend between the 2 instead of a sharp one):

g1.jpg

and this the same scene after having moved the camera around:

g2.jpg

As you see, the size of brute force area changes because changes the view angle. It is quite worrying for animations. I will try if it can work with a veeeeery large transition area.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Do you think it could give nice performance boost with scenes full of glossy materials?
andreymd87

Post by andreymd87 »

zuljin3d wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:46 pm yep!! last build works perfectly.
no dark area. and black walls
looks really nice
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:19 am Do you think it could give nice performance boost with scenes full of glossy materials?
A bit, it allows to lower the "glossiness" threshold from 0.2 to 0.025 in my current tests so the cache will be used quite more often on glossy materials.

To recap, this is brute force only:
brute.jpg
this is cache only:
cache.jpg
this is with mix with a sharp transition:
sharp-mix.jpg
and this is mix with a blend transition:
mix.jpg
The above test have been done with a glossiness" threshold of 0.0 and a glossy roughness of 0.001 (pretty much the most nearly specular surface you can have).

My current problem is more with the little fireflies caused by brute force over glossy:
ff.jpg
This is a test with roughness of 0.025 and works well from the reflection point of view.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

wow, that looks great
provisory

Post by provisory »

My current problem is more with the little fireflies caused by brute force over glossy
Don't you think, an improved, more noise based adaptivity could handle this (too)?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I remenber when we were discussing about cache feature:

Dade wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm
Sharlybg wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm
No because of GPUs. It will be built during a pre-processing stage so it can be transferred to the GPUs.
excuse me if i'm insisting like this but i've more question ;)

If we take CPU only as reference (no GPU acceleration).

1) Do we lose a lot of performance compared to online method ?
On-line training is better because the quality of the light cache improve over the rendering time. The quality of light cache built during a pre-processing phase is constant over the rendering time. CPU Vs. CPU, a light cache with on-line training is better than one without.

About a comparison between photon based caching vray like and denoise algorithme cache "Corona paper". corona online was slower and wasn't really interesting for GPUs but was efficient for denoising any kind of noise ( specular/diffuse/reflection) and could help speed up Bidir engine. finally the current PGI is the best bet anyway :D .

But just wonder if we cann't pick something fron this to add on top of PGI ? a kind of hybrid ?

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:56 pm But just wonder if we cann't pick something fron this to add on top of PGI ? a kind of hybrid ?
The data collected by tracing photons are a gold mine: at the moment I'm in doubt between a new version of visibility map for infinite lights or guided brute force path tracing (we current sutff is done). A newer DLSC version is possible too.

It is a bit funny but now that computing indirect light is insanely fast ... we need new/better ways to accelerate direct light sampling :!:
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 pm It is a bit funny but now that computing indirect light is insanely fast ... we need new/better ways to accelerate direct light sampling :!:
By the way, have you seen this article in Matt Pharr's blog? https://pharr.org/matt/blog/2019/02/27/ ... ing-1.html
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:38 pm
Dade wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 pm It is a bit funny but now that computing indirect light is insanely fast ... we need new/better ways to accelerate direct light sampling :!:
By the way, have you seen this article in Matt Pharr's blog? https://pharr.org/matt/blog/2019/02/27/ ... ing-1.html
I remember also some stuff about spherical light source sampling (probably written by Iliyan Georgiev). I have also some memory of papers about the topic of sampling triangles by Solid Angle people. All topics that may be worth exploring after PGI.