What is new in LuxCore API v2.2 ?

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

What is new in LuxCore API v2.2 ?

Post by Dade »

The release notes of the under development v2.2 are available here: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCoreR ... Notes_v2.2
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: What is new in LuxCore API v2.2 ?

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Did not notice this one here up to date.
Known problems
Inserted keyframes in material node graph don't show up in graph editor or anywhere else

Because I’m currently collecting some material related ideas it dropped suddenly in my awareness but may have been there in every version‘s note.

There is a lot of stuff of interest in my eyes I‘d like to recycle.
Entry points to start with. I do not mind the actual issue’s reason but I like Dade’s anything than grey node posted there.
1999’s rephrase: Do you need a pointer? Yes? Oh! Wow! Yes! A lot of them! And there they were, rows and lanes filled with pointers of any size and shape swooping in frpm no where.

( I know, should‘t do that. But got distracted by the red one.}
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Dade wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:26 pm The release notes of the under development v2.2 are available here: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCoreR ... Notes_v2.2
Do you remember my former denoiser tests leading to
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=688&p=7397&hilit=li ... lors#p7343

Well, first tests with yesterday‘s version of 2.2 dev.
passed :D
for both oidn and pgic!
And works for simple bath room scene room too.
Setup: both features with default settings, openCL, sobol.

In my opinion
Current dev. state looks ready for 2.2 alpha1 rool out.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 am In my opinion
Current dev. state looks ready for 2.2 alpha1 rool out.
Yes but at this point I planning to add also the support for caustic cache with OpenCL before the release of first alpha so it will be nearly feature complete.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am Yes but at this point I planning to add also the support for caustic cache with OpenCL before the release of first alpha so it will be nearly feature complete.
I see. Caustics with openCL sounds good, well actually much better, soundes like musicians are preparing for Harmoy of Standing Waves, 2nd chap. Similarity Dir., Max Pi Well.
MacBook Air with M1
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade can you answer here : https://blenderartists.org/t/lux-corona ... 1143996/90

this comment from the E-cycles Dev :
bliblublimathieuMember
sharlybg
3h

It seems somehow the NVidia driver manage to use the RTX or even FMA/AI cores to render. Because from the pure CUDA cores number and frequency, it would make no sens that the 2070 is faster than the 1080Ti. Why they don’t use this automatically in CUDA too is unclear to me though. Maybe to avoid conflict with manually optimized code, but I guess a simple compile directive could solve the problem and bring a great speedup without much work.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

bliblublimathieuMember
sharlybg
3h

It seems somehow the NVidia driver manage to use the RTX or even FMA/AI cores to render.
Driver can not, it is just not possible. And OpenCL code is always slower than the equivalent CUDA code on NVIDIA GPU ... for obvious reasons, it is not like NVIDIA can even vaguely think to make OpenCL faster than CUDA on their hardware, people would be instantly fired out of the company for such a thing :!:
Because from the pure CUDA cores number and frequency, it would make no sens that the 2070 is faster than the 1080Ti.
It can be easily explain by a larger register file or by mapping local memory as cache, etc. GPUs have still so many bottlenecks when running some huge complex stuff like LuxCore OpenCL code.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Thank for the deep inside. I think almost the same. So i just answer that it is not like GPU core capability are comparable from a given gen to another easily.

It is also one of the reason why i like AMD GPU for opencl. Their are always at full speed and you can stiff do something elese on the computer while rendering. This is not possible on Nvidia hardware even the faster.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA