BlendLuxCore Development

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have considered this in the past, but I decided against it for these reasons:
- unavailable settings are usually unavailable for a reason. For example, BidirVM is broken.
- if the user is advanced enough to decide he can handle such hidden settings, I assume he is also advanced enough to go into the Python files of the addon and change the code directly, for example this line: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... fig.py#L39
- Every feature has an ongoing cost during development. Every time I change code, I have to think about all the implications it can have on other code. This "exporter setting" feature also has this cost, but on the other hand will only be used by a handfull of people. So I decided against it.

I hope this is understandable. Everyone is welcome to hack his version of the addon and ask me about which parts of the code to change to enable this or that hidden property, but I doubt I will implement this feature in the master branch of the addon.
provisory

Post by provisory »

I wrote "Expert Settings" not "Exporter Settings", and imagined a warning beside it, that use only at your own risk...

Changing Python code for myself makes hard to track the new versions, especially frequent test versions.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 am - Every feature has an ongoing cost during development. Every time I change code, I have to think about all the implications it can have on other code.
Prime example right here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=14263#p14263
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Basic light export is now working in 2.8:
https://youtu.be/G0Lvgur40aA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:09 pm Basic light export is now working in 2.8:
Nice progress ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:09 pm Basic light export is now working in 2.8:
Looks pretty cool with the wireframes of the spot light.
Seems to cover most lamp types. Why do you call this basic?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:01 pm Seems to cover most lamp types. Why do you call this basic?
area is still missing, but yes, maybe basic is the wrong term.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

New Light Strategy Tab

Post by epilectrolytics »

I'd like to propose a new Light Strategy Tab in Blender Properties.

This would help to administrate the increasing number of new caches and to provide a setting to save them (as persistent) for camera animations.

Currently there is the DLSC setting under Light Strategy in the Render Config Tab,
Env. Light Visibility Cache in the World Tab and
the Photon GI Tab.
Those could be subsumed under one new Tab instead of being scattered all over the place.

But I don't know if it makes sense to do changes to the Blender 2.79 UI with 2.80 coming.
If not, it should be considered for 2.80 UI only.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Hm, I think they are all in the right place:
- DLSC is a light strategy
- PhotonGI needs its own panel due to the large number of options. The panel is in the right place (render properties).
- Env. Light Visibility Cache is a light property of infinite lights (infinite, constantinfinite, sky2). It can be enable/disabled and configured differently for each such light source (currently in world props and in hemi light props).

Also not sure why you would call it "Light Strategy Tab", wouldn't "Cache Tab" be better?
In the future, if it makes sense to edit some cache property for all caches at once, we could add a panel for this (e.g. for the cache filepath).

edit: As Dade said below, there isn't really a point in using multiple infinite lights, so it might be ok to move the env. light cache settings into the render properties.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: New Light Strategy Tab

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:39 pm Env. Light Visibility Cache in the World Tab and
Note:

- Env. Light Visibility Cache is light source associated cache that works only with sky2, infinite and constantinfinite light sources. If you use multiple infinite light sources, you can have multiple caches with different parameters. Technically, it is a light source setting. However no one ever use multiple infinite light sources so just to say how it works.

- PhotonGI is a render engine cache used only by PATHCPU/OCL render engine. Technically, it is a render engine setting.

- DLSC is technically a light strategy setting.

Just to say how stuff works under the hood, than it can be presented in any way you want.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties