BlendLuxCore Development

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:37 pm Just wanna know :

Is there any possibility to add roughness control to architectural glass ?
Will be nice to have this. To speed up Bidir engine i currently use low path/eye deph number( 2 to 4 or 6 max for both).But this method result in very dark Rough glass.
No because architectural glass requires to have "straight" shadow rays while this is not possible with rough glass. However there may be more than one work around. For instance, I guess you are using symmetrical lengths for eye/light pats; have you tried to use something like 6/2 instead of 4/4 lengths ?

A 6/2 setting requires to trace exactly the same amount of rays but allow longer paths inside a specular surface like glass.

If you post a test scene with an example of dark glass due to the path settings, I can be more specific.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The long awaited light groups are nearly finished :D
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqHZtW ... dex=7&t=0s
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 pm The long awaited light groups are nearly finished :D
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqHZtW ... dex=7&t=0s
Good job ! this how we do it :D

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

No because architectural glass requires to have "straight" shadow rays while this is not possible with rough glass. However there may be more than one work around. For instance, I guess you are using symmetrical lengths for eye/light pats; have you tried to use something like 6/2 instead of 4/4 lengths ?

A 6/2 setting requires to trace exactly the same amount of rays but allow longer paths inside a specular surface like glass.

If you post a test scene with an example of dark glass due to the path settings, I can be more specific.
I'd already made test with asymetrical deph value but i always fall to a truth that if one of the deph value is too low then specular material start to render darker and darker and GI quality decrease noticeably. The tricky part is that you need to keep Quality (good reflection, transmission, GI) while going fast .

I've a dream :

The speed of BIDIR in 3X3 deph = INSANITY : Try it on my bathroom scene so fast become crazy when looking it denoise :roll:

The Quality of BIDIR in 8X8 / 12X12 deph = Beauty Just Photography :ugeek:

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Light group support is in master and will be in the next release.
400ml

Post by 400ml »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm Light group support is in master and will be in the next release.
very excited about this...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The light strategy setting is now exposed in BlendLuxCore.
Together with the "Importance" setting of lights this is helpful if you plan to heavily use light groups, because if you e.g. have a very dim light in a group, render and then raise the gain of the light group so it now is responsible for most of the light in the scene, it will severely undersampled with the current behaviour.

This is stuff for advanced users and we should probably create a wiki article explaining all of this in more detail.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 pm The light strategy setting is now exposed in BlendLuxCore.
Together with the "Importance" setting of lights this is helpful if you plan to heavily use light groups, because if you e.g. have a very dim light in a group, render and then raise the gain of the light group so it now is responsible for most of the light in the scene, it will severely undersampled with the current behaviour.
As general hints for someone planning an heavy use of light groups:

- the light should be always white (you can change the color of the light group after the rendering);

- the power of all light should be about the same (again, you can change the power of the light group after the rendering);
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The halt condition bugs should now be fixed (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=159&p=2108&hilit=ha ... tion#p2109).