BlendLuxCore Development

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: BlendLuxCore Development

Post by CodeHD »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:47 pm I know the cycles voronoi cells texture work great.
Then what are you trying to improve? :lol:
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Then what are you trying to improve? :lol:
Nothing my dear i am suffering from the fact that luxcore voronoi seem a bit different :mrgreen: . And the voronoi node seem different too.
Look the voronoi cell node.

db66c787e3bec0dd0d7322ae9ddcf135b38aef6c.png
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have added a projection mode setting to the imagemap node, there is "Flat" (uses UVs) and "Box" (uses triplanar mapping).
Having this directly in the imagemap node means you don't have to use an extra triplanar node, which reduces clutter in node setups.
I also did some general UI/tooltip polishing in the imagemap node.
Attachments
left old, right new
left old, right new
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:02 pm I have added a projection mode setting to the imagemap node, there is "Flat" (uses UVs) and "Box" (uses triplanar mapping).
Having this directly in the imagemap node means you don't have to use an extra triplanar node, which reduces clutter in node setups.
I also did some general UI/tooltip polishing in the imagemap node.
This is awesome, but for bump we still need to use "flat" mode + triplanar bump right?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:52 pm This is awesome, but for bump we still need to use "flat" mode + triplanar bump right?
Yes, I was considering to add a bump mode as well, but I'm not sure how often bump imagemaps are even used nowadays. Do you use them often in your projects, or rather normalmaps?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:00 pm
lacilaci wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:52 pm This is awesome, but for bump we still need to use "flat" mode + triplanar bump right?
Yes, I was considering to add a bump mode as well, but I'm not sure how often bump imagemaps are even used nowadays. Do you use them often in your projects, or rather normalmaps?
I almost never use normal maps. Most generic archviz clutter is done with whatever you got(generic textures etc)
I don't know about others but I rarely find time to make a proper dedicated normal and its also rarely worth it.

Maybe a "is bump map" checkbox on image node that would internaly make the triplanar projection a triplanar bump? And in that case also add bump height controls and lets skip bump node alltogether?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

My workflow is mor bump oriented even if normal give far better result. My wish would be to generate normal map directly on the fly with a node one day that will be insane. :mrgreen:

marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

most of time bump mapping.

But as much as tools like substance painter or designer will be used...much more often normal maps will be used...
In any case..at the moment I use most of the time bump maps
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

The place where bump will also make sense is in cloth shader node. We can generate custom patterns but it is not possible to have a procedural bump for that.

gecko

Post by gecko »

Actually even using Substance for texturing, I end up using the bump texture instead of normal maps. I'd actually like to be able to use both, as Substance textures tend to put different types of detail in the two maps... but anyway, I've found that the more important features end up in the height texture, not the normal map.