PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
mwitalinski

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by mwitalinski »

frank_yifei wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:27 am For a test scene, I tried to make the caustic result look smoother so I increase lookup radius. I found a problem.
using opencl + photonGI, setting caustic lookup radius higher will crash blender. The error message is "ERROR: clEnqueueWriteBuffer
Error: Unrecognized Exception". Path cpu works well with caustic, i can set lookup radius to any value, like 100.
Indirect cache can have lookup radius at any value, under opencl or cpu
My computer have 4 core intel cpu, nvidia 1060 6gb.
Hey, I have the same problem with latest benchmark scene for Luxcorender 2.1. While using cpu only it's working, on opencl it crashes Blender in the same way. I'm using GTX Titan Black.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have a scene where the caustic cache shows a brightness difference compared to Bidir+Metropolis.
Light source is a meshlight.
Attachments
Bidir+Metropolis
Bidir+Metropolis
Path OpenCL + Sobol with caustic cache
Path OpenCL + Sobol with caustic cache
Path OpenCL + Sobol with caustic cache, more photons
Path OpenCL + Sobol with caustic cache, more photons
lux_caustic_test.blend
(167.78 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
provisory

Post by provisory »

I have instant crash when I try to render any scene with caustic cache (path CPU).
I have 8 GB RAM. Maybe it's low RAM related?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 am I have a scene where the caustic cache shows a brightness difference compared to Bidir+Metropolis.
Light source is a meshlight.
I should have fixed this problem.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

provisory wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am I have instant crash when I try to render any scene with caustic cache (path CPU).
I have 8 GB RAM. Maybe it's low RAM related?
Does it happen with any scene ? For instance, including the one posted above by B.Y.O.B. ?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

frank_yifei wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:27 am For a test scene, I tried to make the caustic result look smoother so I increase lookup radius. I found a problem.
using opencl + photonGI, setting caustic lookup radius higher will crash blender. The error message is "ERROR: clEnqueueWriteBuffer
Error: Unrecognized Exception". Path cpu works well with caustic, i can set lookup radius to any value, like 100.
Indirect cache can have lookup radius at any value, under opencl or cpu
My computer have 4 core intel cpu, nvidia 1060 6gb.
Your test scene is working fine here on my Linux+GTX980. Making the radius larger, it will make also the rendering slower. May be, it becomes too slow and the driver kick in and kill the GPU kernel execution.

Given a radius causing the crash, can you try to cut in half (even multiple times) the caustic cache size ? Reducing the size will increase the rendering time again, so if my theory is correct, it should stop crashing at some point.

I'm working on this "larger radius => slower rendering" problem.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

mwitalinski wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:59 am Hey, I have the same problem with latest benchmark scene for Luxcorender 2.1. While using cpu only it's working, on opencl it crashes Blender in the same way. I'm using GTX Titan Black.
I had a similar problem with LuxCoreRender v2.1 benchmark scene with an older NVIDIA driver. Have you tried to update the drivers ?
provisory

Post by provisory »

Dade wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 am
provisory wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am I have instant crash when I try to render any scene...
Does it happen with any scene ? For instance, including the one posted above by B.Y.O.B. ?
It didn't crash with B.Y.O.B.'s scene!
However it always crashed before, even with a default cube and sun. So, I assume, it's something with my settings.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

provisory wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 am So, I assume, it's something with my settings.
Can you post a test scene causing the crash ?
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Under what sort of circumstances should I turn OFF the 'USE PHOTON GI CACHE', in the Material Output node?

Thanks