PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Sharlybg »

Not at the moment, like I wrote before, the average value of the texture is estimated and used for a comparison with the glossiness threshold. But using not constant roughness sounds quite uncommon to me :?:
it is far more common than you think. if you have a texture modified inside a band node (what i do every day) you will probably have to :

tweak ----> debug view render ----> tweak ----> debug view render ----> tweak ----> debug view render ----> tweak ----> debug view render

until i found a good compromise between my large surface shader and cache set.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am I have changed the defaults in BlendLuxCore and exposed the new debug mode.
I've downloaded the lastest BlenderAddon and LuxCore build (Downloaded 20 minutes ago) but when I tried the new debug mode I've this error

"Unknown PhotonGI cache debug type: showindirectpathmix"

It seems that or the build it's not the lastest or there is some mismatching.
Just me? Anyone tried this?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

marcatore wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:58 pm It seems that or the build it's not the lastest or there is some mismatching.
Just me? Anyone tried this?
Maybe azure was not yet done?
Your binaries are outdated, the addon is fine.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:46 pm
Sharlybg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:52 pm Also something i want to understand.
Is there anyway to know if given glossy shader will be included in cache or not if we aren't using number to set roughness (reflection texture ) ?
Not at the moment, like I wrote before, the average value of the texture is estimated and used for a comparison with the glossiness threshold. But using not constant roughness sounds quite uncommon to me :?:
Textured/mapped roughness is pretty standard thing to do
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:54 pm
it is far more common than you think.
Sounds quite common/realistic to me as well. For example when you try to achieve a "used look", e.g. a leather seat used to be shiny but has been worn off in some areas, or a bronze statue in a public place, which are partly coroded and partly polished where people touch it. Like in this example, the polished areas look very glossy, so this might even fall around the threshold value.:

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:46 pmBut using not constant roughness sounds quite uncommon to me :?:
I have run this script on our three example scenes:

Code: Select all

Sharlybg's Food scene:
34 roughness sockets, 9 are textured (26%)

Sharlybg's Benchmark scene:
21 roughness sockets, 5 are textured (23%)

Sharlybg's DLSC scene:
12 roughness sockets, 3 are textured (25%)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Note also that theses scene are relatively simple one. And also 25% is for the number of textured vs constant roughness not the percentage of the surface covered by of the shader in a complexe production scene.

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:35 pm
Dade wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:46 pmBut using not constant roughness sounds quite uncommon to me :?:
I have run this script on our three example scenes:
I can add to the API a new method that, given the complete properties definition of a texture, returns the average value. Is it what do you want ?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:35 pm I can add to the API a new method that, given the complete properties definition of a texture, returns the average value. Is it what do you want ?
I just wanted to check how often roughness is textured.

It sounds to me like Sharlybg wants a text in the node UI that says something like "this material will be cached because the roughness is higher than the threshold" (or the opposite)?
However this is a bit hard to do in a convenient way. It would require to evaluate the whole nodetree that goes into the roughness socket, just for the Blender UI, and would probably slow things down if run constantly. Or you have to run it with a button, which kinda defeats the purpose as well.

Dade, I think you mentioned a "force cache off/on/auto" solution once, maybe this would also help?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

It sounds to me like Sharlybg wants a text in the node UI that says something like "this material will be cached because the roughness is higher than the threshold" (or the opposite)?
Simple way : just have roughness number still displayed evenif i have node texture pluged in just to show the average roughness value the cache will be compared to.
rf.png