PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci »

cache+bump seems to work alright, probably needs more testing but, look at oidn+reflected caustics / unclamped rendering :shock:
oidn_caustics.jpg
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:22 am Maybe the issues come from the export/import? For example excessive scale in object space, or extremely large/small models, causing floating point precision issues?
I just fought with this last week but now with a build from two days ago I cannot reproduce it :?
Either I'm stupid or it's gone, anyways, currently there is no "black box light leak" issue apparently :|
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

lacilaci's image seems really good... render times? :)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm lacilaci's image seems really good... render times? :)
this is 15min. in 2K using gtx1060... I wanted to render bumpmapped material covered glossy walls, but forgot to turn on clamping. Pretty surprised to see how oidn handled those caustics with OCLpath.

@Dade, do you plan to work on caustic cache first or make all materials work with indirect cache first?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:11 pm @Dade, do you plan to work on caustic cache first or make all materials work with indirect cache first?
I'm thinking to go first for caustic cache: it is a bit more complex than indirect cache on GPUs and it is required to cover all features on GPUs too (I mean, you can already render any material with indirect cache, it just fall back to normal path tracing for one bounce, having the support for more material will only slightly increase the performance).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:31 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:11 pm @Dade, do you plan to work on caustic cache first or make all materials work with indirect cache first?
I'm thinking to go first for caustic cache: it is a bit more complex than indirect cache on GPUs and it is required to cover all features on GPUs too (I mean, you can already render any material with indirect cache, it just fall back to normal path tracing for one bounce, having the support for more material will only slightly increase the performance).
Well... coating material is kinda problem... I have a scene that has no benefit from caching due to coating layer killing cache

this is indirect debug view, wood materials that have coating layer are black
coating.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 pm Well... coating material is kinda problem... I have a scene that has no benefit from caching due to coating layer killing cache

Glossy coating is easy to add but are you using coating over what type of material ?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 pm Well... coating material is kinda problem... I have a scene that has no benefit from caching due to coating layer killing cache

Glossy coating is easy to add but are you using coating over what type of material ?
over glossy... I did this to get secondary specular lobe. Just seemed to look more closely resembling wood. Underlying glossy is pretty rough, so it would do well with cache
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm over glossy... I did this to get secondary specular lobe. Just seemed to look more closely resembling wood. Underlying glossy is pretty rough, so it would do well with cache
It should the same of plugging the wood texture on Kd glossy parameter and using all glossy coating parameter on other glossy arguments (but only quite slower to render).
Anyway, it is easy to add the support for glossy coating and I will.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:38 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm over glossy... I did this to get secondary specular lobe. Just seemed to look more closely resembling wood. Underlying glossy is pretty rough, so it would do well with cache
It should the same of plugging the wood texture on Kd glossy parameter and using all glossy coating parameter on other glossy arguments (but only quite slower to render).
Anyway, it is easy to add the support for glossy coating and I will.
Fantastic, btw regarding caustics, do you think that you could cache reflective caustics too? Maybe bellow certain roughness, opposite of indirect cache...