Film-only out-of-core rendering support (CUDA-only)

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Film-only out-of-core rendering support (CUDA-only)

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

In my short tests on Windows it seemed to work correctly.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 pm
Sharlybg wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:04 pm Maybe i ask. When the user select this new option is going to be regular OOC+Film OOC ?
No, you can enable/disable both individually.
Simon, one includes the other "Full OoC" = "Film OoC + OtherStuff OoC": it should be probably a combo box, where you select if to have only the Film OoC or everything.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Odilkhan Yakubov

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov »

:) great sounds for me! But sorry guys, I have never used this option. Maybe someone teach me in which situations am I must to using this feature?
Thanks.

Post by AndreasResch »

With FOOC enabled the rendering of a 7200px 4800px image finished after 2.5 hours. Without FFOC the rendering aborts with an OPENCL error. So that's a success. However above that resolution is't still a no-go and Blender just crashes without any message as soon as the GPU memory exceeds my available 6GB.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

AndreasResch wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am With FOOC enabled the rendering of a 7200px 4800px image finished after 2.5 hours. Without FFOC the rendering aborts with an OPENCL error. So that's a success. However above that resolution is't still a no-go and Blender just crashes without any message as soon as the GPU memory exceeds my available 6GB.
Your GPU may simple not support true OoC as explained in NVIDIA documentation: https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-pro ... -migration
There may be also some limit if you are using Windows instead of Linux.

What GPU do you have ? Me and B.Y.O.B. have RTX GPUs.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 pm Simon, one includes the other "Full OoC" = "Film OoC + OtherStuff OoC": it should be probably a combo box, where you select if to have only the Film OoC or everything.
Done.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Dade wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:05 am
AndreasResch wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am With FOOC enabled the rendering of a 7200px 4800px image finished after 2.5 hours. Without FFOC the rendering aborts with an OPENCL error. So that's a success. However above that resolution is't still a no-go and Blender just crashes without any message as soon as the GPU memory exceeds my available 6GB.
Your GPU may simple not support true OoC as explained in NVIDIA documentation: https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-pro ... -migration
There may be also some limit if you are using Windows instead of Linux.

What GPU do you have ? Me and B.Y.O.B. have RTX GPUs.
I can only compare it to Cycles at this point. And if Cycles seems to take advantage of that shared memory - with that very GPU and on Windows as well - I can't see, how the GPU should not be able to handle it. But of course I can't say what the task manager is actually displaying there and what happens behind the curtain. I have a GTX 980 Ti and a GTX 1060.

From what a little googling has show, Octane Render also seems to support OOC memory handling - probably on Windows as well.

[EDIT] Attached are the GPU stats of the same scene rendered in Cycles (at a higher resolution of 9600px in width). As you can see, there are 5.7GB of RAM used for the GPU which in total results in 11.3GB.
Attachments
GPUMem_Cycles_01.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Cycles uses tile rendering, the option of this thread is for progressive rendering (i.e. you should use Cycles X).
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

I don't see what tiled rendering has to to with the capability to use shared memory or not. And I can't use Cycles X at the moment as the GPU memory management is not properly implemented yet. It throws an error right away.

And I don't mind tiled path rendering. Once it works properly in Luxcore, I'm more than happy to use it.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

AndreasResch wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:33 am I don't see what tiled rendering has to to with the capability to use shared memory or not.
One allocated a 7200x4800 while the other allocated a 64x64 film, I don't see how you can not see the difference.