Film-only out-of-core rendering support (CUDA-only)

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Film-only out-of-core rendering support (CUDA-only)

Post by Dade »

Introduction

I added the support for Film-only out-of-core rendering. This is a feature supported only by CUDA (like full out-of-core rendering). It is intended to be used when you have enough GPU memory to render the scene but you run out of space when trying to render at high resolutions (4K, etc.).
This option can be enabled by just defining the following property:

Code: Select all

opencl.outofcore.film.enable = 1
Performance

Due to locality of film accesses, you can expect to have the same performance even if you enable film-only out-of-core. This is the major advantage of Film-only out-of-core.

CPU ram

Keep in mind that you still need a LOT of CPU ram to run all Blender, OS, LuxCore, etc. and host large film data. For instance, with a 8GB GPU, you are likely to need more than 32GB of CPU ram to handle large image renderings. 64GB is probably a good starting point.

Film GPU pipeline disabled for out-of-core

I'm now also disabling GPU image pipeline when using full or film-only out-of-core rendering. This was a somewhat contradictory setting where you had out-of-core enabled because out of GPU ram and than you where using additional GPU ram to run the image pipeline.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Re: Film-only out-of-core rendering support (CUDA-only)

Post by kintuX »

This is very, very nice. :mrgreen:
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

That is very welcome giving the fact that GPU get quite often limited by memory ;)
thanks you for that !

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Added support for it in the Blender addon, it's in the same location as the regular "out of core" setting (render properties, Sampling panel).
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Oh. This could be huge. This was one of the big hurdles for me to move to Luxcore for production. I hope that this will free enough memory. Cheers.

[EDIT] The rendering started, which wasn't possible before. That's good. Resolution 7200px x 4800px. 6GB/GPU (maxed out), 20GB/32GB RAM used.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 pm Added support for it in the Blender addon, it's in the same location as the regular "out of core" setting (render properties, Sampling panel).
Thanks Simon for super quick add :shock:
Maybe i ask. When the user select this new option is going to be regular OOC+Film OOC ?
And if yes it mean that windows isn't concerned by this feature. as windows don't handle occ.

AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

I was wondering the same. But as the memory consumption on my Windows machines wasn't affected by the "old" OOC, I have also left it unchecked now. And Windows seems to support OOC (in Cycles anyway), it's just nor supported in Luxcore for Windows.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:04 pm Maybe i ask. When the user select this new option is going to be regular OOC+Film OOC ?
No, you can enable/disable both individually.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

AndreasResch wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:11 pm I was wondering the same. But as the memory consumption on my Windows machines wasn't affected by the "old" OOC, I have also left it unchecked now. And Windows seems to support OOC (in Cycles anyway), it's just nor supported in Luxcore for Windows.
If i remenber well it is windows limitation. Maybe Dade can clarify.

AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

The task manager shows the extended GPU memory (38GB here) and Cycles clearly uses that overhead when you watch the numbers going up during rendering.
Attachments
GPUMem_01.jpg