Scene translation take forever or crash with big textures

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Scene translation take forever or crash with big textures

Post by Dade »

Martini wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:12 am I can repeat this process and see the memory usage climbing in Process Explorer. However, if I re-enter a gamma value that I already used, it is both much faster, and also the memory usage does not increase. Thus I can concluded that these 'images' are cached somehow, and each unique gamma-adjusted image is kept in memory.
Yes, the image are always cached and, due to the reverse gamma correction applied to images stored in memory, gamma is part of the cache key (i.e. a new gamma requires a new entry).

Cache removes the unused images only on application demand.

The process of creating/editing an HDR light is slow because it requires to create an importance sampling map for the render (the map matched the HDR image size).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
TAO
Developer
Developer

Re: Scene translation take forever or crash with big textures

Post by TAO »

I think the other users face the same issue with interactive render too. i can see another thread that about crashing blenders in the interactive viewport that causes by a memory leak and I believe they are connected.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3171
Another test on another PC.
Screen.mp4
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
excuse me for the low bitrate, just because the upload size is limited.
CPU 6700k
Ram 16GB
GPU GeForce 730 Nvidia

I need to mention that the problem will not happen all the time, but it will happen occasionally so it safe to not use it, and the only solution I found is to turn off interactive render once a while to release the memory and delete the cache.