LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.

Select the most wanted features

Light cache Part I: to accelerate direct light sampling in scenes with many light sources
10%
Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling
11%
BiDir on GPUs ... no, it is not going to happen but it will possible to still waste a poll vote on this :mrgreen:
3%
Walt Disney Principled Shader material
8%
Add .cube file format support in camera response plugin
No votes
Artist friendly SSS (but you will have to explain me what does it exactly means)
1%
Support for a native hair primitive to accelerate hair/fur rendering
4%
Support for multiple UV sets for each mesh vertex
4%
Support for LuxCoreUI persistent settings
1%
Add shape support to IES light sources
2%
A web site where to upload/download material definitions to build a public library of LuxCore materials
4%
Displacement (micro, vector, volume)
8%
New Glossy material with multiple scattering GGX, Irridescent microfacets, etc.
4%
White balance corrector in imagepippeline
1%
Aperture diffraction
1%
More convenience textures for color manipulation: brightness, contrast, blend modi. (lighten/darken/soft light/etc.)
1%
Terminator Artifact Treatment
4%
Spherical, Cylindrical, Cube and Triplanar mapping, with a button to be computed in local space (no changes when the object moves) and world space
2%
Bevel edges by shader, with a threshold to ignore edges in a certain angle
4%
Inline documentation of the interfaces used throughout the code
0%
Camera bokeh shape
3%
Ability to modulate texture's input coordinate by another texture
1%
Material backfacing (from the cycles' geometry node), useful as a factor to assign different properties to a face in relation to normals.
1%
Texture ColorRamp for example to create variations based on the BW shades or simply to tweak tones
2%
Texture Separate/Combine RGB, useful to bring multiple non-color textures in one file (R,G,B channels) for example
0%
Light paths features could be also useful in many cases
1%
Texture wavelenght to color
1%
Wireframe node
1%
Deformation motion blur
0%
Normals auto-smooth
2%
Architectural glass roughness
2%
Use a random material for each object in a group (to create a floor with different wood tiles, etc.)
2%
Integrate "tabulated data" in volume description
2%
A material that allows us to define the reflectivity and transmission in three types (specular/glossy/matte) per incidence angle and per wavelength
1%
Integrate some new physics based model like "Henyey-Greenstein" for more exact volume description
1%
Unbiased Photon Gathering for Light Transport Simulation and anditional photon mapping related techniques
7%

Total votes: 363

Dade
Developer
Developer

LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Post by Dade »

As discussed here, select the 6 most wanted feature for you.

Given the long list of features, they are likely to require a couple of versions (i.e. v2.1 - v2.2).

Denoiser is already part of v2.1.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
FiatLux

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Post by FiatLux »

Unbiased Photon Gathering for Light Transport Simulation and anditional photon mapping related techniques
WooHoo! A new toy! :D
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

And the winner is...
  1. Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling
  2. Light cache Part I: to accelerate direct light sampling in scenes with many light sources
  3. Walt Disney Principled Shader material
  4. Displacement (micro, vector, volume)
  5. Unbiased Photon Gathering for Light Transport Simulation and anditional photon mapping related techniques
  6. Terminator Artifact Treatment
  7. Support for a native hair primitive to accelerate hair/fur rendering
  8. Support for multiple UV sets for each mesh vertex
  9. New Glossy material with multiple scattering GGX, Irridescent microfacets, etc.
  10. Normals auto-smooth
  11. etc.
A tentative split across multiple versions based also on the amount of work required by each task could be:

v2.1:
  1. Denoiser
  2. Light cache Part I: to accelerate direct light sampling in scenes with many light sources
  3. Walt Disney Principled Shader material
  4. Normals auto-smooth
v2.2/v2.3
  1. Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling
  2. Displacement (micro, vector, volume)
  3. Terminator Artifact Treatment
  4. Support for a native hair primitive to accelerate hair/fur rendering
  5. Support for multiple UV sets for each mesh vertex
  6. New Glossy material with multiple scattering GGX, Irridescent microfacets, etc.
I'm keeping "Unbiased Photon Gathering" out of the picture for the moment because it may be a bit useless once we have light cache part I & II (we will see).

BTW, we are planning minimum 3 major releases for each year, better if we can do 4.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

If only I've to choose i will keep For 2.1 development :

V2.1:

1. Denoiser (almost done)
3. Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling

IMHO This will catch a lot more testor and will place Luxcore in the range of best "efficient modern renderer" . It will also be a lot more easier to wait for next feature. Gallery will be completly saturated in a month (Just imagine the buzz on the blender community ). In this way the magnetic power is so hard i'm sure we can catch more dev's instantly.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I'm a bit in the same feeling but you're the coders and project manager...so it's up to you.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 am If only I've to choose i will keep For 2.1 development :

V2.1:

1. Denoiser (almost done)
3. Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling
Well, it can be done (but as shown, it will require to put everything else on hold).
tokiop

Post by tokiop »

Sharlybg, prioritizing light-cache is a interesting strategy to get traction on the project, and is consistent with the poll's result. Would love to see more of your beautiful interior renders !

Would light cache help "complex path" renders, like caustics in pool or this one, like SPPM did ?

It is great to see the work, progress and motivation put in LuxCoreRender, thanks everyone !
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

tokiop wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 am Would light cache help "complex path" renders, like caustics in pool or this one, like SPPM did ?
No. It helps to sample lights better faster. (ie. psychopath renderer, Efficient sampling of many lights (@ompf2.com))

For BiDir caustics there's nothing alike SPPM out there. At least i haven't found anything better yet. Check the latest tutorial on caustics with appleseed and use compositing.
tokiop

Post by tokiop »

kintuX, thanks for the infos and references !
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

I actually like that the Disney BSDF is planned for the next release, I think it will bring a lot more users to LuxRender with the denoiser.