LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.

Select the most wanted features

Light cache Part I: to accelerate direct light sampling in scenes with many light sources
10%
Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling
11%
BiDir on GPUs ... no, it is not going to happen but it will possible to still waste a poll vote on this :mrgreen:
3%
Walt Disney Principled Shader material
8%
Add .cube file format support in camera response plugin
No votes
Artist friendly SSS (but you will have to explain me what does it exactly means)
1%
Support for a native hair primitive to accelerate hair/fur rendering
4%
Support for multiple UV sets for each mesh vertex
4%
Support for LuxCoreUI persistent settings
1%
Add shape support to IES light sources
2%
A web site where to upload/download material definitions to build a public library of LuxCore materials
4%
Displacement (micro, vector, volume)
8%
New Glossy material with multiple scattering GGX, Irridescent microfacets, etc.
4%
White balance corrector in imagepippeline
1%
Aperture diffraction
1%
More convenience textures for color manipulation: brightness, contrast, blend modi. (lighten/darken/soft light/etc.)
1%
Terminator Artifact Treatment
4%
Spherical, Cylindrical, Cube and Triplanar mapping, with a button to be computed in local space (no changes when the object moves) and world space
2%
Bevel edges by shader, with a threshold to ignore edges in a certain angle
4%
Inline documentation of the interfaces used throughout the code
0%
Camera bokeh shape
3%
Ability to modulate texture's input coordinate by another texture
1%
Material backfacing (from the cycles' geometry node), useful as a factor to assign different properties to a face in relation to normals.
1%
Texture ColorRamp for example to create variations based on the BW shades or simply to tweak tones
2%
Texture Separate/Combine RGB, useful to bring multiple non-color textures in one file (R,G,B channels) for example
0%
Light paths features could be also useful in many cases
1%
Texture wavelenght to color
1%
Wireframe node
1%
Deformation motion blur
0%
Normals auto-smooth
2%
Architectural glass roughness
2%
Use a random material for each object in a group (to create a floor with different wood tiles, etc.)
2%
Integrate "tabulated data" in volume description
2%
A material that allows us to define the reflectivity and transmission in three types (specular/glossy/matte) per incidence angle and per wavelength
1%
Integrate some new physics based model like "Henyey-Greenstein" for more exact volume description
1%
Unbiased Photon Gathering for Light Transport Simulation and anditional photon mapping related techniques
7%

Total votes: 363

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

wasd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 am Oh, only 4 years since then. Maybe a little later. It took only 24 years for them to get cube defined not by radius, but by edge length and sphere (haha) not by "size", but like it used to be for cube, by radius. Wait... They didn't do it yet.
Blender Foundation's priority number one seems to be the grease pencil these days. :D I'm just glad we got the datablock ID properties after only 5 years (a feature that almost every advanced addon will use).
wasd

Post by wasd »

Another feature request! :D I'd like HDRI Settings - Z Axis Rotation to be not limited to 0-360°. It's convenient to be able to rotate hdri -30° for example. It's not that hard for cpu to calculate that -30° is the same as 330° and 720° is 0° as it for me.
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

wasd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 pm Another feature request! :D I'd like HDRI Settings - Z Axis Rotation to be not limited to 0-360°. It's convenient to be able to rotate hdri -30° for example. It's not that hard for cpu to calculate that -30° is the same as 330° and 720° is 0° as it for me.
This has to be one of the most simple user requests I ever implemented:
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... 0d7a072f2b
wasd

Post by wasd »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:57 pm
wasd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 pm Another feature request! :D I'd like HDRI Settings - Z Axis Rotation to be not limited to 0-360°. It's convenient to be able to rotate hdri -30° for example. It's not that hard for cpu to calculate that -30° is the same as 330° and 720° is 0° as it for me.
That's great! Thank you very much! One little diff for dev, one giant leap for luxcore.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

This one is really interesting. Kind of change that make life really easier. Well done.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
wasd

Post by wasd »

I have a question about material library: if I remember right, there was feature in old lux to add material as link to a file. Is it possible to add such feature to luxcore? So I would store my materials in a files and to add material to an object I'd have to just pick a file.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

wasd wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:08 am I have a question about material library: if I remember right, there was feature in old lux to add material as link to a file. Is it possible to add such feature to luxcore? So I would store my materials in a files and to add material to an object I'd have to just pick a file.
It is possible (and easy to add) however the question is more how to integrate this feature with Blender :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You can make a .blend file where you create your materials.
Then you can link or append these materials into other .blend files.
If you link them, they will be automatically updated in all "child files" when you edit a material in the "parent file" (i.e. your material library).
So you can just use the Blender asset system in this case.
wasd

Post by wasd »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am You can make a .blend file where you create your materials.
Then you can link or append these materials into other .blend files.
If you link them, they will be automatically updated in all "child files" when you edit a material in the "parent file" (i.e. your material library).
So you can just use the Blender asset system in this case.
Thank you for the tip. Didn't know one can link materials. However, I'd like to avoid blender's linking system as much as possible.
I really liked that feature from old lux.
You see, there's a bunch of problems with .blend files and nodes right now and likely will persist in next few tens of years. Most annoying for me is ctrl+c crush and sss bug. I've commented on last one here recently https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/113 The problem is within .blend file. I didn't manage to find certain steps to reproduce the bug though.
wasd

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 am
wasd wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:08 am I have a question about material library: if I remember right, there was feature in old lux to add material as link to a file. Is it possible to add such feature to luxcore? So I would store my materials in a files and to add material to an object I'd have to just pick a file.
It is possible (and easy to add) however the question is more how to integrate this feature with Blender :?:
I just thought of one way: there's a "custom properties" feature in blender. Maybe it's possible to add some property like LuxcoreMaterial = ./somfile.lxm? Then, add field to Properties/Material tab to choose file instead of node tree?