LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.

Select the most wanted features

Light cache Part I: to accelerate direct light sampling in scenes with many light sources
10%
Light cache Part II: to accelerate indirect light sampling
11%
BiDir on GPUs ... no, it is not going to happen but it will possible to still waste a poll vote on this :mrgreen:
3%
Walt Disney Principled Shader material
8%
Add .cube file format support in camera response plugin
No votes
Artist friendly SSS (but you will have to explain me what does it exactly means)
1%
Support for a native hair primitive to accelerate hair/fur rendering
4%
Support for multiple UV sets for each mesh vertex
4%
Support for LuxCoreUI persistent settings
1%
Add shape support to IES light sources
2%
A web site where to upload/download material definitions to build a public library of LuxCore materials
4%
Displacement (micro, vector, volume)
8%
New Glossy material with multiple scattering GGX, Irridescent microfacets, etc.
4%
White balance corrector in imagepippeline
1%
Aperture diffraction
1%
More convenience textures for color manipulation: brightness, contrast, blend modi. (lighten/darken/soft light/etc.)
1%
Terminator Artifact Treatment
4%
Spherical, Cylindrical, Cube and Triplanar mapping, with a button to be computed in local space (no changes when the object moves) and world space
2%
Bevel edges by shader, with a threshold to ignore edges in a certain angle
4%
Inline documentation of the interfaces used throughout the code
0%
Camera bokeh shape
3%
Ability to modulate texture's input coordinate by another texture
1%
Material backfacing (from the cycles' geometry node), useful as a factor to assign different properties to a face in relation to normals.
1%
Texture ColorRamp for example to create variations based on the BW shades or simply to tweak tones
2%
Texture Separate/Combine RGB, useful to bring multiple non-color textures in one file (R,G,B channels) for example
0%
Light paths features could be also useful in many cases
1%
Texture wavelenght to color
1%
Wireframe node
1%
Deformation motion blur
0%
Normals auto-smooth
2%
Architectural glass roughness
2%
Use a random material for each object in a group (to create a floor with different wood tiles, etc.)
2%
Integrate "tabulated data" in volume description
2%
A material that allows us to define the reflectivity and transmission in three types (specular/glossy/matte) per incidence angle and per wavelength
1%
Integrate some new physics based model like "Henyey-Greenstein" for more exact volume description
1%
Unbiased Photon Gathering for Light Transport Simulation and anditional photon mapping related techniques
7%

Total votes: 363

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.1/2.2 features poll

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It would be relatively easy to create a "material from file node", it can be done with beginner-level python skills.
If you want to implement this, feel free to ask me for a more detailed explanation on how to do this.
But since this is a very niche request I won't implement it myself (I doubt many people want to write their materials this way).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm It would be relatively easy to create a "material from file node"
What this node would do:
- read text file from disk into string
- replace the material name in this string with the correct one for the node
- create a pyluxcore Properties object from the string and return it (this is a finished material definition)
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

Over the last month, due to the lack of a Bevell shader, I had to work at Cycles in 8 projects.
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

Add sliders like add-on gaffer for Cycles so that I can select my HDRis with a mouse click, instead of crawling to folders each time and select them one by one.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Took more than one year but nearly all most requested features where implemented.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
RRIS

Post by RRIS »

Dez! wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:39 am Over the last month, due to the lack of a Bevell shader, I had to work at Cycles in 8 projects.
I looked at your website and I can understand why.. I am in the same boat. I'm a product designer and I do a lot of rendering of complex engineering parts, complex glassware (think glasses with complex extrudes that are impossible to fillet in Solidworks..
I can honestly say that unfortunately I have to dismiss using LuxCoreRender for a majority of my projects, just because of this feature.
I come from Keyshot, which has a rounded corners feature.. then I found out Cycles has support for this as well, but I would love to be able to use Lux because of its beautiful caustics. Cycles simply can't compete for that.

Is there any chance of this feature being implemented?
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

RRIS wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:23 pm Is there any chance of this feature being implemented?
yes.

https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/132
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/