Random Per Island and Mix (Color Math) - Layering / multiple texture inputs?

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Random Per Island and Mix (Color Math) - Layering / multiple texture inputs?

Post by juangea »

I've been dealing with using Random Per Island to distribute several textures in the same object, and it works great, but the thing is that I had to stack several Color Math nodes to convert the random values into 1 or 0 for the textures to be fully applied and not mixed.

So i thought that a layering node could be a good idea, just something that internally does the same I manually do, which is to use a color ramp to get a range of values for each texture, I imagine this would be a BlenderLuxCore development and it's not a LuxCore feature itself.
layering_luxcore.png
In this case the layering node would have simply an input for a number of layers, and you could add more layers with a button, then the randomization would be distributed amongst that amount of layers and you could simple connect a different texture to each socket.

Maybe Layering is not the best name for this, but multiple inputs or something like that, so ignore the "name" itself.

The node could be extended to actually work like a layering system, and have a random input socket to connect the random per island or other input like the random per object.

Just thinking about this because I was dealing with a boards floor and I had to do what I showed, because I have several planks textures.