TwoSided material

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: TwoSided material

Post by CodeHD »

Does the object have a negative scale in Y direction?
Normals won't show flipped in edit mode unless you apply the scale.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

CodeHD wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:03 am Does the object have a negative scale in Y direction?
Normals won't show flipped in edit mode unless you apply the scale.
It is the reason I asked if it is instanced, a negative transformation can change the handiness of the transformation (from right to left hand and vice versa) and flip normals.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
CEROE

Post by CEROE »

You have taught me something! The object was negative in the X direction. Once the scale was applied the normals flipped.

It's interesting to see how Cycles and Lux materials treat this scenario differently. Cycles materials leave the normals direction until the scale is applied, while Lux materials treats the normals as if the scale was already applied.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

CEROE wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:42 pm It's interesting to see how Cycles and Lux materials treat this scenario differently. Cycles materials leave the normals direction until the scale is applied, while Lux materials treats the normals as if the scale was already applied.
I would call it a Cycles bug: as proof, having two different results if the scale is applied or not, it is intuitively wrong. It is a common mistake, the transformation handiness swap is tricky to handle correctly (i.e. I have done the same mistake but I have fixed it sometime ago).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
CEROE

Post by CEROE »

Thank you for taking the time to educate me on this!

BTW: I'm the person who contacted you about the PolarGrid project many months back. After a creative hiatus, I'm back on the project again.
Phantom107

Post by Phantom107 »

Many thanks for adding the TwoSided material as my usecase is now possible in LuxCoreRender! I'll be supporting :D